Topic: ADI-2 DAC fs - setup for use with external pre and active monitors

Hello,

I am new to the RME and the ADI-2 DAC. The featureset is amazing and deep! Up until now I had been using a Denafrips R2R dac which was fun but didn't quite cut it for my work. I am in the process of trying to set things up effectively in my system and I have a few questions:

I listen in two configurations: Fun and Work.

For fun, I am generally upressing Tidal through Roon to DSD in HQ player and would be using the DSD direct mode, but also sometimes in PCM. The signal chain is:

W10 Workstation>HQ Player to DSD>USB>Intona>USB>RME>XLR>Schiit Freya in tube mode>Neumann HK120a active montitors.

For work, I am listening using AES/EBU out of my video interface to the S/PDIF on the RME - I am often assessing mixes.

Video Interface AES/EBU>RME>XLR>Schiit Freya in passive mode>Neumann HK120a active montitors.

So far I have found that the RME is waaaaay more detailed than the denafrips - way. more. I have also found that the staging on the RME is quite different from the R2R dac - it's sharper but considerably more shallow - even with the tube mode engaged on the pre.

I think that my main question is about the relationship between ref level and volume. If I lock the volume, what would be the ideal relationship between volume level and Ref Level?

So far, I have found that using a locked volume level at -3.5 for PCM and a ref level of +7 integrates the best in my system, but I could pad the neumans some more if need be. I am not sure I am getting the best out of the material through the ADI-2 this way, though.

My second question would be about the DA filters. When using DSD direct, is there a recommended DA filter configuration?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- J

Re: ADI-2 DAC fs - setup for use with external pre and active monitors

> So far, I have found that using a locked volume level at -3.5 for PCM and a ref level of +7 integrates the best in my system, but I could pad the neumans some more if need be.

That settings makes sense: DSD Direct is 3.5 dB lower in volume. You also prevent intersample peaks/overs in PCM causing clipping in the output stage, and loose practically nothing in available dynamic range.

> My second question would be about the DA filters. When using DSD direct, is there a recommended DA filter configuration?

The DA filters are not available in DSD mode. The two DSD filters (50/150 kHz) don't make a significant difference, you can use both as you like.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your response, Mattias.

I had been having a lot of SQ issues with the RME up until tonight - I had been finding it thin and sibilant. I suspected that this must be user error so I removed the pre from the equation and it sounded a bit better, which I thought was odd as I know the pre to sound quite good with my previous DAC.

I was having to run the trimpots on my Neumanns at -15 to allow reasonable reference level and volume levels from the RME. This made me think that I was running the RME too high, but it did not sound great at the lower volume/reference levels either.

I put a pair of -20db Rothwell pads on the RME output and turned the trim to 0 on the Neumanns. This made a very big difference. I was now able to run the RME at a ref level of +13 at 0 or -3.5 (to match the DSD fixed volume). It remedied the SQ issues I had been experiencing. Everything is now very full, treble is smooth, imaging is really great.

I swapped in the pre again and everything sounds as it should. I can now use DSD with HQ player which, btw, is really nice on the RME.

I'm principally a video guy and new to matching line levels in audio. I feel like I have things dialed in a bit better. I will continue to experiment. Thanks again for your input.

Hi Justins!
So do you think it is the Neumann trimpot who change sound quality?

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

5 (edited by justins 2019-05-03 14:47:50)

I think that there are more qualified answers to be found from engineers, but I do know that anytime you're sending signals through an attenuated potentiometer, you degrade the signal. I have also read that trimpots on active monitors can change the impedance of the input which can lead to tone issues. Again, I am not qualified to back this up, but did find some information on this on one of the pro audio forums.

I think that my issue was that I was sending out a hot signal and then heavily attenuating it at the receiving end (the monitor trim pot and the preamp). My pre also really did not like the hot signal. It's a hifi pre, not a professional pre. The hot signal into the pre combined with the monitor trimpots at -15 made the RME sound thin, and painfully sibilant. Once I added the attenuation pads, it made a night and day difference.

In my testing, without the pads, I found that if I set the monitor trimpots to 0, I had to turn the volume and reference level on the RME way down. This also sounded suboptimal.

Thanks for your answer. I will probably buy soon Neumann monitors, good to know...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables