Topic: Upgrade to ADI-2 DAC?

Hello all,

I'm currently monitoring/recording through an ADI-8 DS Mk III connected to a Fireface UCX and have been happy with this setup for quite some time.
I've been intrigued by the rave reviews of the ADI-2 DAC and wondering if the conversion would be a worthwhile upgrade over the ADI-8 DS Mk III? Obviously the headphone amp would be a bonus.

-Long time RME user/first time poster. Thanks!

Re: Upgrade to ADI-2 DAC?

I am guessing you mean audible by worthwhile. Really? No. Psychologically? Maybe yes.
The differences are lower then -110db. So inaudible, but your brain is amazing and will hear more depth, tighter bass and nicer soundstage.
People who have already invested will claim they hear it. I run an even older interface trhe ADI8 AE. Which is a ADI8 DS mk1 with noisier AD bur same DA.

Real blind testing always reveal that things are not that audible. Even Amps, where the were blind tests between  $100 to mega expensive amps. Conclusion was no difference with a slight advantage for the 100$ amp.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

When I plug my phones from UFX+ to ADI-2 Pro FS then the sound is better and features like dynamic loudness bring advantages on top.

I can't change my Monitors so fast between those 2 devices, but also here I am the opinion that there are improvements in sound.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the replies... I suppose of course it is a matter of opinion with what we think we can and can't hear.
I'm pretty sure I can hear a noticeable improvement in DAC between my UCX and ADI-8 DS Mk III on Barefoot monitors in my somewhat-well treated room. To me that is definitely a "worthwhile" jump in quality and justifies the equipment.
Does anyone think I may notice a similar improvement in quality between the somewhat old ADI-8 DS Mk III and the new ADI-2 DAC? I'm not familiar with the different converter chips used in the ADI line over the years and how they may have improved.

Also follow up question- I had a glance through the manual but I'm a bit unclear on how the USB connection could integrate into my setup. Is it possible to use the USB connection on Windows in tandem with my UCX (also connected by USB) and be able to route my master out to the ADI-2 DAC, or is the only option to connect a spidif/adat cable from the UCX? Thanks again

5 (edited by ramses 2019-05-03 06:29:10)

Simply check with your own ears if you have doubts.
There is a reason why so many people, including me, are so happy with these new ADI-2 * units.

With Thomann you have 30d money back (at least in Germany). Other shops offer to you at least 14d.

In regards to the integration into your setup, see my blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13