1 (edited by andrewhenderson 2019-05-10 20:35:31)

Topic: Inputs 9-12 (Mic/Line) on Fireface 802

I am wondering how Inputs 9-12 fare in comparison to the line inputs 1-8, found on the back of the unit?  I currently have all 8 inputs used on the back of the unit and am wanting to add additional sound modules/romplers to my setup, so am going to be forced to use inputs 9-12 on the front of the unit, to make this happen.  I am finding them odd to use, however.  The back inputs are simple plug and play, where as the fronts tend to require more work involved and don't sound as good to my ears.  Noisier?  I see it mentioned that these have build in pre amps.  Do these have to be used for synth connections, or just MIC?

I understand they are shared mic and line inputs, so this does mean that I can successfully hook up outputs of synths to these inputs and get a clean, reliable recording through them, right?

TotalMix FX is showing these are MIC 9-12.  Is there anything I have to change in TotalMixFX to have proper connection and signal level for outputs from synths, so they read accordingly and not as mic?

I am really sorry if this is seeming like a stupid question, but to me, 9-12 just don't behave and sound the same as 1-8 and am hoping it is just something I am missing and if any hints, or tips can be given to get the most from these inputs, so they behave just like inputs 1-8 found on the back of the unit.  These inputs can be used for synths without an issue right?  They can behave and sound exactly like the back inputs?

Thanks so much for any time and effort put into answering this for me.  If there is anything I am missing and these inputs are not what I should be using, please do let me know.  I would like to be as clear as possible on what I am getting myself into, before I purchase anymore outboard gear to hook up to my 802.

Re: Inputs 9-12 (Mic/Line) on Fireface 802

Chapter 19.2 of the manual describes both inputs perfectly. I see no problem using the front inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC for your reply, I really do appreciate it.  In checking the mentioned manual section now, it does specifically state that these inputs would be perfect to be used for keyboards, samplers, etc, so in reading that, I now see no reason why it wouldn't be the same, to use an old Roland rompler, in the same way.  I will just have to get used to using the front gain knobs to set level, which I never had to do, when using the back inputs.

Does TotalMixFX automatically detect when these inputs are being used and in what manner they are plugged into?  In checking now, with nothing hooked up, it is defaulting to mono/MIC.  Do I have to change this to read Instr./Stereo, or will this happen automatically?

Thanks again, really glad to know that I have extra 2 stereo pairs to be used for hooking up external sound modules.  I was a bit gutted when I realized all 8 on the back were used up and thought I had no more room for expansion.  Really excited about this actually.

There is no automatic mono/stereo switching. Front TS inputs have an extra input circuit with impedance and level adaptation before being routed through the adjustable mic gain stage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC.

So if plugging in the outputs of an unbalanced sound module, with TS cables, I will select Stereo under the settings of input Mic 9 on TotalMixFX? Do I have to click on Instr. at all?  Just making sure I get this right and get the best of these inputs, which again, behave a bit differently than simply plugging into the back inputs.

I have checked the manual again for these inputs and see no direction about how to interact with TotalMixFX in regards to these inputs. 

Sorry for dragging this on.  I do appreciate your time and effort into sorting me out.  If I am totally wrong in my way of thinking, please let me know exactly what I need to do, or not do, when plugging in a sound module to these inputs, especially what I should be watching for and doing in TotalMixFX for Mic 9-10 inputs.

Thanks so much Matthias

1. Yes. Stereo is not necessary but convenient.

2. Sure. If you don't activate Inst the TS input is muted electronically and lacks sound and level.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Gotcha.  So I will select Stereo to link Mic 9 and 10 together, if using both to connect a single sound module (9L / 10R) and will click on Instr. to activate the channel, to receive incoming signal.  I will then use the gain knobs to set desired level.

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you so much Matthias, really appreciate your patience with me and for taking the time and effort to sort me out with the answers I needed.