1 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-04 07:07:47)

Topic: Need help configuring multiple simultaneous outputs for ADI2

I've read the manual a couple times, but I'm still not sure whether I understand this part correctly. I'm not an audiophile (although I like great sound in the living room, hence the RME). For the proposed setup, I'm more concerned about not blowing things up than getting the perfect '3D soundstage' in the room where I cook dinner. :-)

Currently the ADI2 is connected via unbalanced RCA to my power amp, AUTO REF and Loudness is turned on. I'm using the ADI2 as pre.  It sounds absolutely wonderful. I've read that the headphone outputs can be used as line outputs. So I was thinking: why not send a signal to my 15 year old active speakers in my k itchen via the headphone output? The active speakers accept a regular consumer level line in, and have a volume control. By using the headphone output with a fixed volume level, I would be able to control the volume in the room where I cook dinner seperately and I won't drive my wife in the living room nuts when I get enthusiastic about the music during cooking dinner. She likes listening to the same music (hence this setup) but not at the same volume.

My idea is to keep the line out settings like they are now (AUTO REF, volume controlled by the ADI2) and choose one of the HP outputs to send to the active speakers. My questions and assumptions are:

- which one of the HP outputs would be best to choose?
- is it correct to keep AUTO REF for this output turned off
- which dBu and dBr levels should I choose for this output? +7dBu and 0.0dBr?

(btw apparently I can't say 'k itchen'...I have no idea why)

2 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 07:35:10)

Re: Need help configuring multiple simultaneous outputs for ADI2

> which one of the HP outputs would be best to choose?

The regular one, not IEM (IEM has lower output not to overload IEM speaker and not to blow your ears).
You can see it easily in the specs (either webpage or handbook)

Phones
As Cinch but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced, stereo
• Output impedance: 0.1 Ohm
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +22 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +7 dBu: 116 dB RMS unweighted, 119 dBA
• Output level at 0 dBFS, High Power, load 100 Ohm or up: +22 dBu (10 V)
• Output level at 0 dBFS, Low Power, load 8 Ohm or up: +7 dBu (1.73 V)
• THD @ +18 dBu, 32 Ohm load, 1.2 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
• THD+N @ + 18 dBu, 32 Ohm load: -107 dB, 0.00045 %
• THD @ +14 dBu, 16 Ohm load, 0.94 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
• Max power @ 0.001% THD: 1.5 W per channel

IEM
As Phones, but:
• Output level at 0 dBFS: -3 dBu, 0.55 V
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -3 dBu: 115 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA
• Max power, 8 Ohm, 0.001% THD: 40 mW per channel

> is it correct to keep AUTO REF for this output turned off

No, I would let it stay on, whatever output level you will dial-in it will choose the best possible reference level to operate the converter in an ideal working range for this volume.

> which dBu and dBr levels should I choose for this output? +7dBu and 0.0dBr?
You do not have to take care about this when choosing Auto Ref level

And if you want you can additionally ake use of dynamic Loudness.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. I was hoping you would respond.

Why would I have AUTO REF turned on when the volume is fixed? I will control volume on the active speakers.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 08:16:24)

Trojka wrote:

Thanks Ramses. I was hoping you would respond.

Why would I have AUTO REF turned on when the volume is fixed? I will control volume on the active speakers.

I thought it would be a good ideo for you to find the right balance of settings and that the ADI-2 Pro has always the optimum setting.

But when re-thinking the idea is maybe not so good, because this is a consumer device which could easily be overloaded by studio levels, sorry this I forgot wink

Yes I think its a good idea from you to dial-in consumer level and when you choose 0dB at the DAC then its 0dB at consumer level.

Have fun wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Great! Good suggestion not choosing the IEM. I'm gonna have fun. Such luxury, RME sound whilst cooking.

Btw, when I say the word for this room, the forum changes it to 'I AM A SPAMMING IDIOT!' haha.