Topic: Help needed from Newbie (Bass / Treble Control)

Hi there,

I've just got my ADI-2 DAC.  While it's a great DAC / Headphone AMP with lots of features, I failed to enjoy the bass / treble control via the two knobs.  I've turned on the B/T control on the I/O menu, but it turns out that turning the knobs have no effect on the music at all.  I've tried disabling all other settings (e.g. crossfeed, PEQ, loudness) and played music at 44.1, but the knobs aren't altering the bass and treble at all. 

Did I miss any steps to get this work?

2 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-04 13:45:39)

Re: Help needed from Newbie (Bass / Treble Control)

Please refer to Fig 5.4 of the User Manual.  Menu Structure Overview.

In the I/O Menu, rotate Encoder 1 to scroll through the Various outputs that you wish to apply B/T adjustment to.  Line Output, Phones, IEM.    After selecting the proper output, Rotate Encoder 2 to choose your function, BT, PEQ, Loudness, etc

It seems possible that your B/T have no effect because you're simply on the wrong output.  Easy mistake, but just as easy to correct.

Good Luck!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

3 (edited by N00b 2019-06-04 14:05:05)

If you turn the 2 little encoders with the ADI-2 DAC on one of the three top screens, you will change the B/T of the active output. And you can check it by reading the value on the black volume top screen. If it stays at 0 when you turn the 2 encoders, go in the I/O menu of the current output and check that B/T is ON in the B/T menu.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Hi Curt,

I've turned on the B/T adjustment for all of my outputs, but with turning the knobs for B & T betwen + - 6.0db I don't feel any significant difference in both ends of the sound. 

Matt

B/T control can be enabled or disabled under i/o for Main Out 1/2 and Phones 3/4 separately.

Ensure in the I/O menue structure, that it is enabled for Main Out 1/2 and Phones 3/4.

Then on the main screen you can use B/T to control bass and treble.

If you push the Volume encoder then you can switch between the channels 1/2 and 3/4.

And then you can change B/T for 1/2 and 3/4 as you want.

If B/T control is disabled then you see that the values for B/T stay the same and can not be changed by the 2 encoders on the right. This would mean, go again to I/O menue and check where "B/T Enable" is still turned off.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I believe I've got the setting correct with the B/T can be enabled and disabled for Phone and Line Out.  Just that the difference is relatively insignificant comparing with the PEQ.

7 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 15:58:16)

Bass and Treble is +/- 6db @ 85 Hz and 6.5 kHz where the Q-Faktor can also be parametrized.

Pls check chapter 8.4 of the handbook:

"The simpler form of EQ has been the Bass and Treble controls as they are found on any ‘standard’ HiFi stereo amplifier. They easily and quickly allow to modify the sound to your personal liking (more or less Bass, more or less Treble, obviously). An even more useful application is to quickly change the amount of Bass / Treble in smaller quantities so that music compilations don’t have one song making the cones fall out while another one makes you think that really happened. Producers and mastering engineers not only have their own taste, they also sometimes fail in providing a mix that is on an average sound level compared to others. In that moment a quick turn on the two ADI-2 DAC’s small encoders will make the music sound perfect.

These Bass and Treble controls are limited to ± 6 dB. Everything exceeding such values should be handled by the EQ, and/or calls for better speakers/phones. The corner frequency and quality factor of Bass and Treble is user-adjustable in the display’s menu, making this feature even more useful. Adapt it to meet your speakers/phones or your personal taste – it will greatly improve your pleasure in listening to music again."

I personally have a permanent bass enhancement for +3dB on my DAC in front of Accuphase E-600 / B&W 803D3 which is sufficient for my usual listening levels when watching TV or movies.
Dynamic loudness is active as well to keep the sound at this level even when turning down the volume.

IMHO +6db is already quite a lot and should be noticeble. Otherwise you can decrease the Q-Factor from 0.9 (default) to i.e 0.7 or 0.5 and boost already at 100 Hz instead of at 85 Hz (default). Alternatively use the PEQ.

Look here what +6dB are @Sengpiel: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

"Double or twice the loudness = factor 2 means about 10 dB more sensed loudness level (psycho acoustic)
Double or twice the voltage = factor 2 means 6 dB more measured voltage level (sound pressure level)
Double or twice the power = factor 2 means 3 dB more calculated power level (sound intensity level)"

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13