Topic: Extending Cables for RayDAT sub-boards

hello,
i needed another pcie slot on my mac for a TI firewire-card to get my powercore 6000 working correctly, so i made this ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15DCfe … 5QMXnmgPia

it's a marvel of design and is pat. pending. thank you!

as i think about adding another uad octo, the adat subboard also must be mounted outside - so my question:

can i extend (use longer) cables (Flachbandkabel in german) for the TCO & ADAT boards to put them into a small box which i can place on the top of the computer or will this not work? which ones should i get?

thanks a lot for any pointers  smile
-bernd

DigifaceUSB/BabyfacePRO/MacMini M2Pro 12-core 32GB/Ventura/Logic/Reaper

2 (edited by ramses 2019-06-17 16:09:40)

Re: Extending Cables for RayDAT sub-boards

I would look for PCIe extension cases via thunderbolt if your MAC supports this.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The add-on boards can usually have flat ribbon cables up to around one meter. Over the years several people have put those boards outside by using longer cables. Note that you are not allowed to disconnect/connect the add-on boards while the computer is switched on. That might destroy the main card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias for your extremely fast response, good to know!

DigifaceUSB/BabyfacePRO/MacMini M2Pro 12-core 32GB/Ventura/Logic/Reaper

I too connected two input/output addon cards to my 9632, and must set them up outside the PC enclosure, for lack of internal space.

To allow for a well-designed placement on top of the enclosure, I connected the first of the cards (AO4S/192 AIO) to the 9632 via a 1.5m cable, the AI4S/192 AIO is still connected to the output extension card by the short cable supplied.

It seems to be working ok even with this 150cm connection (just set it up and haven't tested thoroughly yet), just wondering what sort of trouble I should be looking out for? Latency or other parameters potentially compromised by the excessive length of the first connection?

BTW does anybody know of a ready made small *external* enclosure that holds the two extension cards adequately, with a modicum of protection/access? (cables)

Thanks!

If the cable gets too long (mostly a question of external signals and capacity) the signal transmission/receiving will fail. Clicks and distortion, not latency...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the clarification.