1 (edited by 9xSound 2019-06-17 23:24:29)

Topic: Routing Question for Finished Mixes

Looking to run a stereo mix from my DAW through an outboard tube compressor and back. Unsure how to do this.

My setup includes four dedicated outboard preamps connected to the rear line level inputs 1-4 on a FF802 (plus another four dedicated preamps running through a FF 800 connected via ADAT). 

FF 802 rear input channels 1-4 are routed to Mono In channels 1-4 in my DAW (Cubase 8.5). The compressor I use is a Manley ELOP+, which has 2 channels and a setting for running a stereo mix through the two. This is how I am connected for tracking purposes:

Mic 1 > preamp A > ELOP channel 1 > FF 802 rear input 1 > DAW Mono In 1.
Mic 2 > preamp B > ELOP channel 2 > FF 802 rear input 2 > DAW Mono In 2.

I'm uncertain how to send a stereo mix out from my DAW through the 802 and how to route it back. My 802 output channels 1 & 2 are currently connected to my nearfield monitors. Outputs 3 & 4 are connected to a pair of PA monitors.

Two guesses: Perhaps I could add two output channels in Cubase, outputs 5 & 6, and connect the FF 802 output channels 5 & 6 to the ELOP input channels 1 & 2? Then let the ELOP > FF 802 input channels 1 & 2 remain in place?

Or: disconnect my PA and route FF 802 outputs 3 & 4 to the ELOP, which, again, is already coming in on FF 802 inputs 1 & 2?

And then what? Hit play on the mix and record the input on Mono In channels 1 & 2? I'm cloudy on how this works. I once guessed at what I was doing with a brand new bass amplifier head and separate speaker cabinet. Within 60 seconds of turning the amp head on, smoke began to rise from the unit. This gear is just too expensive for guesswork.

Thank you for any assistance!!

Re: Routing Question for Finished Mixes

Connect the HW output - i.e. Analog 3/4 to the outboard equipments input.
Connect the outboard equipments output to Analog 3/4 IN on the recording interface.

Exactly as you described it. Choose some free HW outputs in Cubase (i.e. Analog 3/4 OUT).
You will see the signal in TM FX middle row (SW playback channels, Analog 3/4).

In TM FX "Submix mode" click to HW Output Analog 3/4, then raise the fader of SW playback channel Analog 3/4.

I wrote a TM FX primer maybe it helps you: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

Also the official RME training videos are of very good quality:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Routing Question for Finished Mixes

Thank you, Ramses! I'll take a look at the links and give it all a try.