Topic: Recording vinyl in from Optical to USB out

Hello. I'm loving my new ADI-2 DAC FS. I'm curious how the "recording" feature works?

Can't seem to find any info but apparently it can pass the optical signal to the usb out. But what software would you use to create audio files? And what about track increment, record level etc?

Please pass along any info.

Thanks,
Spence

Re: Recording vinyl in from Optical to USB out

See handbook chapter 5.6.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by jiw 2019-07-12 22:28:20)

This might interest you: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29016

The DAC records the SPDIF optical signal and if the DAC's USB sample rate is the same as the SPDIF optical sample rate, transmits (outputs) it bit perfect via USB. Whether Source is selected as USB (Rec. opt.) or Optical, makes no difference.

Plug in your turntable, put the record on the turntable. Hook it up to the IN jacks of your phono preamp(RME DAC).
Plug in your phono preamp, hook it up to the line-in jack of your computer.
Open Audacity. Set the drop down box under the Fast-Forward button to "Line In".

Shepherd wrote:

Plug in your turntable, put the record on the turntable. Hook it up to the IN jacks of your phono preamp(RME DAC).
Plug in your phono preamp, hook it up to the line-in jack of your computer.
Open Audacity. Set the drop down box under the Fast-Forward button to "Line In".

Haha. Thanks. Yes, I got this to work and what a cool feature with the ADI-2!

This procedure seems simple enough...but I am having distortion issues after playing back the audio recorded by audacity.

My setup.

Smyth Realiser A16 SPDIF (coax) out > RME ADI-DAC 2 SPDIF in > RME ADI-DAC 2 USB (coax) out > MacBook Pro USB in> Audacity RME ADI-DAC 2 in.

Are there any settings that need to be lined up or changed manually in either the the RME, Macbook, or audacity?

Thanks for the help

7 (edited by terrys999 2021-08-22 22:12:10)

Audacity is recording to higher level.
Lower recording input few dB below 0.0

I use magix software sequoia.

In this setup the Smyth is the clock master. Make sure its sample rate matches the one set in Audacity. Also reducing the level in Audacity won't work, it should be reduced at the analog input of the Smyth.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME