Topic: Fireface UFX+ and faulty powersuply

Hi all

It has happen again. I have several RME products and now the Fireface UFX+ has died on me. For a while the display flikkered and there was a loud pulsating noise/tone in my speakers. I had to turn it on/off a few times til it worked.. today the display is all black and I cant get it up and running.

This is all weird (I once again suspect the powersuply),,, my power in the studio is messured fine, but still the rme powersuplies ceeps dying on me (not only the UFX+). No other gear in my studio have ever had anny power problems.. only RME!! - I suspect the powersuply on these products to be from verry por quallity. I used to love RME, but these days I cant recomend annyone bying these stuff. The norwegian reseller says powersuply isnt an issue on these products, well to be honest I know several ppl having issues with thaire powersuplies.. flikkering display, products semi working for a while then dying. At the moment Im a bit pissed off, cous this is expensive gear for me and essensial for my work. And then, at least previous, I wasnt aloud to order spare parts from synthax uk.

Besides informing all about the losy powersuplies my question is:

What is the part name/ number for the Fireface UFX+ powersuply?

ps; Planned obsolescence mutch?

--
jan tore

Re: Fireface UFX+ and faulty powersuply

The UFX+ is not that old - don't you still have warranty?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by torejan 2019-06-29 15:45:44)

I placed the order at Prolyd (Norway) 30.Des.2016. I can only cross my fingers and hope that they will grant me 5 years warranty (2 years so conviniently passed) and wont come up with some excuses that its my fault or that the powersuply isnt a part of the actual product and that I have to pay them cous theyve opened the box. This was a stupid 2000+ euro investment.

By the way, what is the part name/number for a UFX+ powersuply?

--
Jan Tore

Well

I had to pay for new powersuply and it makes me silly mad! --- Why? I used alot of money on this UFX+ soundcard, and after little over 2 years I have to spend even more money on it!!

Why doesn't anyone at Prolyd or at RME help me when I spend about 20 000 Nok on a "high end" sound card?
Isn't it supposed to last longer than little over 2 years?

The support is terrible.. I highly recommend anyone to stay as far away from these cards as they can. Here in oure production comunity RME used to be the thing to go for if you wanted to start out with a smal studio. Not anymore. Sorry but Im so mad atm.. think about it: spending around 2k euro on a sound card, and then after 2 years you have to pay for a new powersuply - no help from annyone!

Worst of all this isn't a new thing. Several people in my community, including myself, have had previous issues with RME products and powersuply.

Note how MC doesn't answer me on what part number the powersuply is.

Part # for the PSU for UFXII and UFX+ is NT-RME-10

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I really feel your pain.  I am so sorry you are going through what you are.  Having kit go down is NEVER fun.  I have been lucky with my Fireface 802, as it is still going fine, but yes, the single most common point of failure on the RME units is the power supply.  Almost every time I hear a complaint about a unit going flakey, it has to do with the power supply.  You can search this very forum, or any search engine and find the RME power supplies are the reason for most failures.  To be honest, despite mine still running, it has crossed my mind many times, that if something goes wrong, it will likely be the psu, as that has come to be expected and yes, it is quite unfortunate, for how much these units cost.  My FF802 was $3,000 Canadian, more than just about all the other kit in my studio combined.

I really hope my psu keeps working for a lot longer, as it is barely 3 years old now.

I am glad you are back up and running however.  Do you mind sharing how much a new psu cost?  Was it a whole swap, or did they repair the old one?  Is it OEM, or aftermarket?

8 (edited by Thermaltake 2019-08-15 14:43:37)

I am using on my FF400 for like 5+ years some other adapter. They all have same adapters 12V 2A you can you also correct me someone If I'm wrong 2.5 or 3A I think it won't hurt. You just need to watch that inner and outer diameter of connector are same thats all.

Thermaltake wrote:

I am using on my FF400 for like 5+ years some other adapter. They all have same adapters 12V 2A you can you also correct me someone If I'm wrong 2.5 or 3A I think it won't hurt. You just need to watch that inner and outer diameter of connector are same thats all.

Yes the Amps is the max an adapter can give. The max needs to be equal or more then the FF needs.
So less, for example 1A, is not a good idea. It will either not work (reliably) or over heat/burn out the adapter. If the adapter is properly designed it will not hurt the FF though.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

10 (edited by Thermaltake 2019-08-15 14:23:53)

Just curious, how much Watt does original NT-RME-10 power supply have ? Is that last number 10 number of Watts ?

The original RME wall wart is 12V 2A = 24 Watts. I don't know where you found 'NT-RME-10'. AFAIK it is called NT-RME-2 or NTCARDBUS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 posters here, one with an UFX+,NT-RME-10 which is internal and one with a FF400 which uses an external....

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

13 (edited by Thermaltake 2019-08-15 18:23:40)

vinark wrote:

2 posters here, one with an UFX+,NT-RME-10 which is internal and one with a FF400 which uses an external....

Oh my bad. Correct UFX+ use internal power supply.