Topic: Need help with RME Raydat + RME FF800

Hi guys, currently I'm using RME raydat as my interface. RMe FF800 as my input.

- But May I ask you how to set up routing from FF800 to raydat via adat? My ff800 uses firewire card connection but my pc case only have 1 slot of PCIE 3.0 x 1 slot, so do I have to purchase another motherboard that have more than 2 slots of PCIE 3.0 x 1 slot? (so that I can I can plug in raydat and firewire at the same time to my motherboard to set up routing first?)

- Or can I plug in firewire card first to connect ff800 to set up routing and then plug raydat after finish setting up?

- And can any1 please help me about routing set up in details? My cubase doesn't realize the signal input sad sorry but this is the first time I use adat so I'm not sure how to set up adat correctly. And I'm struggling with it. Please help sad

2 (edited by ramses 2019-06-30 17:01:20)

Re: Need help with RME Raydat + RME FF800

You can configure the routing of the FF800 1st and later use it in stand-alone mode.

Its simple,
A) you route the analog and digital inputs of the FF800 through ADAT1 and ADAT2 OUT to the RayDAT (ADAT1/2 IN)
- ANALOG 1..8 to ADAT1 ch1-8
- ANALOG 9..12 to ADAT2 ch1-4
- SPDIF IN to ADAT2 ch 5-6

B) as the RayDAT is a full digital card, you also need the analog outputs of the FF800, so use ADAT 1/2 of the RayDAT as Main Output (TM FX -> Assign Button) and on the FF800 you route ADAT 1/2 IN to phones and speakers.

Use the RayDAT as clock master and configure the FF800 to receive clock via ADAT1 IN.

So in Total you need 3 TOSLINK cables, the ones from Mutec are fine. The cables will work up to 15m.

Routing in TM FX is easy.

1. use submix mode
2. click to a HW output and then set the fader of HW inputs (from inputs) and SW playback channels (from applications) to create the submix / the routing

2 Examples:

A) configure routing for monitors and phones

A.1) on RayDAT:
- TM FX: Assign Main Out to ADAT 1/2
- TM FX: Assign Phones 1 to ADAT 3/4

A.2) on FF800:
Here we do not need the control room section as this unit will run in standalone mode later.
So we do not need to Assign here channels to "Main Out" or "Phones 1".
This we do only on the RayDAT because there it makes sense as you will operate all via the RayDAT.
The FF800 is only the unit delivering analog inputs and outputs.
By this you can also integrate an ARC USB by connecting it via USB to your PC and use it for controlling your setup through the RayDAT.

- In TM FX:
- enable Submix Mode if not done already

- click to HW output (bottom row) for monitors, I assume this is AN 1/2
- Raise the Fader of HW Input ADAT 1/2 IN to 0db
This creates the routing for the Submix AN 1/2 OUT, so that you listen to the music that arrives the FF800 via ADAT 1/2 IN.
Remember ADAT 1/2 is the "Main Output" Channel on the RayDAT.

- click to HW output (bottom row) for phones, I assume this is AN x/y (dunno)
- Raise the Fader of HW Input ADAT 3/4 IN to 0db
This creates the routing for the Submix AN "x/y" OUT, so that you listen to the music that arrives the FF800 via ADAT 1/2 IN.
Remember ADAT 3/4 is the "Phones 1" Channel on the RayDAT.

By this you can easily control the volume on the RayDAT separately for monitors and phones
and you do not need to change anything on the FF800 in standalone mode.

B) configure routing from analog/digital ports on FF800 towards the RayDAT
- TM FX, assuming stereo channels for the analog channels and mono channels for the Mic channels
- submix mode
- Click to HW Output ADAT 1/2 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input AN1/2 IN (top row) AN1/2in
- Click to HW Output ADAT 3/4 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input AN3/4 IN (top row) ...
- Click to HW Output ADAT 5/6 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input AN5/6 IN (top row)
- Click to HW Output ADAT 7/8 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input AN7/8 IN (top row)
- Click to HW Output ADAT 9 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (9?) IN (top row) Mic1
- Click to HW Output ADAT 10 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (10?) IN (top row) Mic2
- Click to HW Output ADAT 11 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (11?) IN (top row) Mic3
- Click to HW Output ADAT 12 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (12?) IN (top row) Mic4
- Click to HW Output ADAT 13 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (?) IN (top row) SPDIF L
- Click to HW Output ADAT 14 OUT (bottom row), raise the fader of HW input A? (?) IN (top row) SPDIF R

If you are good you can do everything in one sweep
- configure the FF800
- replace FW card with RayDAT
- configure the routing in RayDAT while FF800 already operates in stand-alone mode
- optionally get an ARC USB on top so that you can work with more comfort

GUIDES FOR TM FX Routing
- my primer as blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/
- RME official videos: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/
- RME Handbooks

Tip: read the manual of the FF800 carefully, some of the ports need to be assigned / configured properly in the RME driver settings dialog, whether to use front/back/or both ports ... if you do not set it properly, then you need again to switch the PCIe cards .. simply read carefully, make notes / todo list .. exectute in proper order.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2019-06-30 21:33:19)

Further information about TM FX and routing...

- My TM FX primer: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

- RME Video Tutorials: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

- RME handbook, best take the one from a more recent recording interface like the UFX+, as then the TM FX pictures are more according to the current implementation, in the RayDAT handbook you see the pics of the TM FX version, when the card has been released: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ff … plus_e.pdf, see pp. 53

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Omg, I love you :d thank you so much, let me follow your instruction, thanks alot you saved my life :x

You're welcome and good luck ;-)