1 (edited by DUALITY 2019-07-01 21:29:20)

Topic: Fireface UC problem with sound. (Please help i do not know anything!)

Hello,

I bought a Fireface UC as a complete beginner in interfaces, i managed to set it up just fine and it has an output and input and the sound is usually perfect. But now as i try to integrate it into my setup (for djing/ live performance) I run into a problem that might well make me sell it without really having been able to use it.

I have a Maschine MK3 an arturia beatstep a macbook pro from 2018, and several synths. the arturia works fine with the synths and sounds great but once i want my maschine to output to the fireface (and not use the built in) as I set the fireface as the device though, i get this horrible crackling and the whole system sounds like it is overloaded (computingpower wise) sounds like the signal is only partly transmitted, since i can easily play the same setup and sound from the built in output of my computer, I figured this must be a problem with the interface or atleast with the way i set it up. I know nothing on this so please teach me.

Re: Fireface UC problem with sound. (Please help i do not know anything!)

Install the latest Mac OS 10.14.5 and the latest RME driver 3.16. Then try again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, Thank you for your reply.

I installed the latest drivers, it still does not work. Should I maybe record a video showcasing the problem? It wasnt the driver..

More details about the system would help. Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Do you speak german, i might be able to explain better on telephone, im also german. So maybe we could more quickly solve the problem.

My Mac is:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics:Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

I connect the mac to my gear over an externally powered multi usb connector with 10 inputs. the Interface is externally powered as are the maschine mk3, the mixer (Allen & Heath Xone 92L) which i dont think is important, and the synths.

the Multi usb connector is connected to the Computer via usb c to usb 3.0 adapter,

the Maschine is connected to the interface by line input,

the other devices are also connected via line input sometimes having to go from 3.5 Jack to 6.3.

The Maschine is the master clock connected to my slave devices by midi except to the interface which over usb is still choosable as output device, where the problem occurs)

The problem however does not occur if i dont select the UC as audio output of the maschine. All other devices work jst fine with the UC. It seems as though the UC interferes with the MK3.

I can also make a video to further showcase the issue.

Please guys, help i just want to make musicc

BTW .. you didn't answer post #4 yet. Try all available USB2 / USB3 ports whether one makes a difference.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

DUALITY wrote:

Do you speak german, i might be able to explain better on telephone, im also german. So maybe we could more quickly solve the problem.

Why you not call the German hotline then? Number is in the manual...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ich bin da....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Guys, I did some searching again and the problem only occurs when i set the maschine as master clock..

any help is very welcome

If you have no other recording interface, preamp or adda converter connected digitally then this is the usual thing, that you choose clock source "internal".

Can you please detail the steps / settings when it works and what you change if you talk about "master clock", thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, everything runs smoothely as long as i dont set the maschine as masterclock. (in maschines preferences) no matter how i set the rmes clock settings though, the problem occurs every time i try and set the maschine as master clock

Since you are outputting from your rme device it should be master. Setting maschine as master clock will break synchronisation with the rme. It is even strange that is possible. Where are you seeing this settings? In maschine? What audio driver and outputs did you set in Maschine?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

14 (edited by ramses 2019-07-11 17:23:32)

Quick q: to you vinark for my own understanding ...

NI maschine is only software or am I wrong ?
If y: what does it have to deal with "clock settings" ?

I googled already but only see that machine has to deal with external HW only in terms of
sending MIDI data which is a different thing, which is independend of clocking between digital devices.

Hi Andreas!
The maschine MK3 has audio in out over USB. No digital or WC connections only analogue. So why it has a master option I don't know either.
For the OP, in audio devices settings of maschine choose RME asio. If you do a screenshot of this settings we might better understand what we are dealing with here.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hello guys, i cant embed photos here so i posted the screenshots on imgur.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nuuQG7N

The maschine sends clock data over midi i think..

thank you guys for your help

17 (edited by vinark 2019-07-12 09:51:51)

What do you want to use the clock/sync for? It is to sync midi devices to your maschine.
Also what does happen when you set the maschine to master and take away all the ticked boxes below that for in and out. If you do need midi clock, only send it to the port that needs it.

Or if I don't understand the sync setting and it is for audio (and not midi clock) it should not be on master since the UC is the master.

Vincent, Amsterdam

18 (edited by DUALITY 2019-07-12 10:45:33)

It is for midi sync. also of course i have unchecked the uc in all boxes before. However the problem still appears. the problem only arises as i set the uc as audio device. but of course i need it as audio device.

As this is a Mac there is not RME ASIO driver installed.
So I think this is maybe the way how you configure clocking with Apple and Core Audio as driver.

I would propse, that you contact RME support as already suggested by MC and Daniel Fuchs, see post #8 and #9

Telefonische Support-Hotline Deutschland
Tel.: 0700 / 222 48 222 (12 ct / min.)
Zeiten: Montag bis Mittwoch 12-17 Uhr,
Donnerstag 13:30 bis 18:30 Uhr, Freitag 12-15 Uhr