Re: Recommended reading for EQ

Curt962 wrote:

RP,

As you're setting up a filter in Bands 1 & 5 (only) you will see a 3 pointed Symbol. It looks like a Sideways "Y"    That's the filter characteristic we're yammering on about. This is also explained very clearly in the User Manual (Page 23) as well.  Hope that helps!

Curt

O.K....thank you Curt.  So, in bands 1 and 5, if I infer correctly, that sideways 3 pointed symbol is the shelf mode, the little mountainy symbol is peak mode and then there are two curve symbols---one sloping up and one sloping down.  Is the up-sloping curving one the high pass and the down-sloping one the high cut or is it vice-versa?

Do I understand correctly, then, that in bands 2, 3, and 4, only the peak mode is available?

Is there a good resource available for a total lay-person that would explain what each of these four modes available in bands 1 & 5 do and when it would be most appropriate to use one or the other?

Willem,

I would take Plot 1, and Run (don't walk) to the Bank with it for Safekeeping.   That is an excellent In-Room response, and I believe it best to TWEAK NO MORE!  smile

Maybe some refinement to your Quad ESL Tilt, and Toe Angles...but that is just fine "focusing" of the Stereo Image.   Your Ear is the Judge of of when THAT is to your liking.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

253 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 01:44:28)

rpgroman wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

RP,

As you're setting up a filter in Bands 1 & 5 (only) you will see a 3 pointed Symbol. It looks like a Sideways "Y"    That's the filter characteristic we're yammering on about. This is also explained very clearly in the User Manual (Page 23) as well.  Hope that helps!

Curt

O.K....thank you Curt.  So, in bands 1 and 5, if I infer correctly, that sideways 3 pointed symbol is the shelf mode, the little mountainy symbol is peak mode and then there are two curve symbols---one sloping up and one sloping down.  Is the up-sloping curving one the high pass and the down-sloping one the high cut or is it vice-versa?

Do I understand correctly, then, that in bands 2, 3, and 4, only the peak mode is available?

Is there a good resource available for a total lay-person that would explain what each of these four modes available in bands 1 & 5 do and when it would be most appropriate to use one or the other?

RP, sorry for the delay.  There seems to be a bit of delay in the Desert Internet...:)

Seems you understand the basic structure of the EQ function in the RME.   Peak filters are the sole option in Bands 2-4 because the others wouldn't be useful to us. .   Hi Cut/Lo Cut do exactly as their name implies.   The Shelf filters are a "sloping" type of filter that work gradually across a larger range of frequencies.  Example:  Willems most recent FR Graph shows how emplying a gentle "shelf" filter in Band 1 was quite effective at linearizing his overall room response. 

Reading Material?  Just hang around here..you'll get the idea quickly. smile

Edit:  In the meantime...Perhaps you'd find this Link to provide you a better understanding in a more expedient manner than just "Hanging Around"...

https://www.homestudiocorner.com/filter-vs-shelf/

I hope this answers some questions you may have had.   Thanks for stopping by!   It's been awhile since I last saw you on the Forum.  Welcome Back!!

Curt

254 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 03:56:57)

RPGroman...

Seems that You may be our next Contestant on this Thread.  Let us try to give you some help!!  (It worked for Willem!)    Bring us your "Huddled Masses"   I promise...we won't recommend $10,000 of BS Upgrades...not even the Heralded "Turbo Encabulator"  smile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Does that not sound like a HiFi Advert? smile

Wife issues?   No promises there either.   That's a "Dark Science" unto itself.

We can at least Try!   All the Best!!

Curt

Thanks for all the help and comments on the result. Yes much of it is within about +/- 3 dB (smoothed) which is really rather nice, and the sound is indeed tighter. I will remove the filter at 300 Hz because the result is quite simply too location specific, and I will see if I can get rid of the really low bass peak. So I do think a few further tweaks are possible.
With regard to the bigger picture I have one remaining question. I was wondering if after all I should not give the lower fequencies some boost with the tone control to get closer to the Harman target curve. The sound is indeed a bit lean and bass light right now.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

256 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 14:45:57)

Willem,

Sure!   A Twiddle of the Tone Control would be absolutely fine for a bit of a "House Curve" EQ to suit individual tastes.  Mind you also that not all recordings are "Reference Caliber" and quite often benefit from a bit of "Seasoning" in the Bass or Trebles.   All this of course begs the question of your use, or lack thereof of the "Dynamic Loudness" feature of the ADI-2 DAC...It is Your Friend!   

Happy Listening!

Curt

In the meantime I have tweaked it a bit more for a slightly flatter response, and a bit more bass. The peak at 25 Hz remains pretty nasty and I failed to remove all of it  it, even with a 32 Hz high pass filter and a reduction in subwoofer output. Its shape also responds quite strongly to small differences in the listening/microphone position. The good news is, of course, that there is not that much real music at that frequency. My guess is that if I really want to reduce it meaningfully and over a wide area, I will have to get a second subwoofer.
Now that I have arrived at a good curve I will turn on the dynamic loudness as well.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

Hi Curt,

I'd like to post the .png image of the 1/3 octave-smoothed frequency response graph I have of my system.  I measured each speaker separately because I felt my room shape and position of the speakers warranted it.  To produce the FR graph, I used the Dayton Audio OmniMic system with its supplied and calibrated microphone.

I have two REL subs connected by speaker-level connection to each of my speakers.  I have level matched the subs to the speakers (per your advice) and each of the graphs represent the summed response of both sub and speaker.

So, now I arrive at the place where I have no idea how to include the .png image in a post.  It seems other members have gotten some help with this process and I'd appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction so I can post the graph and receive excellent advice!

RP

259 (edited by N00b 2019-08-23 18:50:09)

rpgroman, you need to upload your image first on a tool like this:
https://reho.st/ smile

Then copy/paste the link they provide (they even provide the link with the correct img markup for this forum; you just have to copy/paste it on your post and it's ok).

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

260 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 21:27:59)

Noob to the Rescue...  smile

RP,

Post your Graphs, and let's have a Look-See.    Until then, if you could provide some Room Dimension #s (H/W/L) , a bit about how your gear is arranged in that space, etc.  Restrictions on Gear Movement tells us what we can't do.... That gives us all a bit of info to get started.

Curt

Thanks to Noob.  Red line is right speaker, black is left.  1/3 octave smoothing.

https://reho.st/self/5174f335c4bb18d82618bbc0ba8659b8484ed58d.png

262 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 21:32:29)

Hmmm....

I'd Wager the Right Sub is in/near a Corner?

Is there by chance an 18 or 19ft Room Dimension?

Curt

Welcome to this forum with its friendly people eager to help. My contribution would be to suggest that stereo subwoofers may not be such a good idea (two subs is, but in mono). At these low frequences there is no directional information and in stereo you miss the opportunity to let them compensate their separate room modes as they do in mono.

264 (edited by rpgroman 2019-08-23 21:45:24)

Room is an open plan living room, dining area/k itchen.  The main area is somewhat L shaped.

8 foot high ceilings.  The L part is approx. 20 feet wide from the tip of the L's leg to the long part of the L and the long part of the L is approx. 25 feet wide.  Speakers are located along the long wall of the L 32 inches from the wall. 

The left speaker has about 12 feet of open space to its left side, the right side of that speaker is a few inches from the edge of a sofa. The right speaker is 32 inches from the wall, a few inches from the other edge of the sofa and is about 40 inches from the right room wall.

My listening position is very precisely (using a laser measuring device) positioned exactly mid point between the speakers 127 inches distance from each speaker.  The speaker are each toed in at a 17 degree angle.

As far as WAF factor, there is absolutely no room to change anything other than moving the speakers an inch or two forward or backward (same with listening chair).

So, there you have it.   I will be absolutely delighted to hear members' recommendations!

Errr…..well the "I am a spamming idiot" gremlin seems to think the English word for the area in which one prepares food is objectionable.

Curt962 wrote:

Hmmm....

I'd Wager the Right Sub is in/near a Corner?

Is there by chance an 18 or 19ft Room Dimension?

Curt

You're, indeed, correct....near, but not right in the corner.  See measurements in my other post.

Subs are located just behind each speaker and, as with the rest, there is nowhere else I would be allowed to place them...

RP...

I'm in the middle of my Workday, but will be able to devote a bit more attention to your set up in a few hours...over a few Pints to help provide inspiration.    You understand. smile

Curt

267 (edited by rpgroman 2019-08-24 00:19:13)

Curt962 wrote:

RP...

I'm in the middle of my Workday, but will be able to devote a bit more attention to your set up in a few hours...over a few Pints to help provide inspiration.    You understand. smile

Curt

You're too kind, Curt.

This is my first attempt at EQ:

https://reho.st/self/0b11bce29707be92a574d81a6d5225b860c39d2f.png

It appears to be nicer-looking, but I'm a complete novice at this, so it's not clear to me whether I've done more harm than good.  EQ settings are as follows:

Right channel/speaker:

Filter 1:  G -2.0    F 32    Q 9.3 using peak filter
Filter 2:  G +6.0   F 200  Q 0.6
Filter 3:  G +9.0   F 69    Q 2.2
Filter 4:  Unused
Filter 5:  Unused

Left channel/speaker:

Filter 1:  G +7.5   F 50    Q  0.5 using shelf filter
Filter 2   G  -9.0   F 144   Q   8.5
Filter 3   G +9.0   F 210   Q   7.2
Filter 4   G +2.5   F 330   Q   0.7
Filter 5   Unused

N00b wrote:

New Willem's measurements...

https://reho.st/self/9a5c9b6c0bbded179a4e9b97e60de3cc3c5cb06d.jpg

https://reho.st/self/3841932ca6b4371ef5d0356d2b2b7214fca23b23.jpg

And for the smoothing: "Graph" menu, 1/3 smoothing. wink

I always use 1/6th smoothing because I find 1/3rd leads you into a false sense of security.
I would rather keep it more realistic and show the graph for what it is.

I remember seeing my room on 1/3rd for the first time and it instantly pleased me. I was chuffed.
Then reality set in.
I set it back to 1/6th and that's where I leave it because I know my room isn't THAT good! big_smile

RME ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341AWM - Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofer (x2)

RP,

Real Quick, lets reduce the Level of the Right Sub by 3-4 db. 

PS:  Where are you located on the Globe?

Curt962 wrote:

RP,

Real Quick, lets reduce the Level of the Right Sub by 3-4 db. 

PS:  Where are you located on the Globe?

Northwest USA.

271 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-23 22:09:05)

For this coming week anyway, we're in nearby time zones. smile   

Some users are not amused when my communications arrive to them at...3am.

Here is the non-EQ's measurements at 1/6 octave smoothing:

https://reho.st/self/b8d0c959faba78ee02c1b514158862c8863df6cf.png

Here is the EQ'd measurments at 1/6 octave smoothing:

https://reho.st/self/1eb53405c6dde06906a3b549a60fb5f2fddd856f.png

Curt962 wrote:

For this coming week anyway, we're in nearby time zones. smile   

Some users are not amused when my communications arrive to them at...3am.

No worries...I'm not one of those who leave their phone/computers on 24/7 and put them bedside so as to be sure I don't miss something that's not very important ;>).

rpgroman wrote:

I don't know the answer to this so I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in but am I seeing a phase issue in this graph?

Sparkydude wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

I don't know the answer to this so I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in but am I seeing a phase issue in this graph?

I don't know either, but keep in mind, these are two separate speakers, measured independently of one another.  In other words, the left speaker was off when the right was measured and vice-versa.  So, I'm not sure I would understand how there'd be a phase issue....???

277 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 01:46:12)

Hey RP!   Back in position atop my Remote Perch in the W.Texas Desert

Let's keep it simple, and Concentrate our efforts on "The Big Picture" for now.  We'll dig into Picky Oonie stuff down the Road. smile

At first blush, it seems the Acoustic Output of the Right Sub (at the measurement position) is several db HIGHER than the Left Sub.   Let's lower the right Sub 3-4db.

Then, when Time Permits, make a Sweep of the System with BOTH CHANNELS.   The way we normally listen, so that we have a Full System Composite measurement.   

Note:   For our test Purposes, it's imperative that the Measurement Mic be positioned EXACTLY at the Main Listening Position.   Not on the Floor, etc.  I mean, Smack Dab where your head is while sitting in the Hot Seat. We need to be fussy in this respect, else we'll be wading through all sorts of....you know what. (Hint:  Emanates from Bulls)

A few Questions: 1)  What is your Sub XO Freq?    2) What's the deal with that HF Droop at about 6khz??    That looks odd...like there's a Quilt draped over the Speakers. smile  (This made me wonder if the Mic wasn't actually ON the floor.  Waaay off the Tweeter Axis)

At any rate, your data thus far suggests that your System could be quite manageable perhaps with a few well-placed adjustments. 

Curt

First of all, I'd like to express my appreciation for your patient expertise and help!

While I definitely did not have the mic on the floor, there may be something to what you noted.  My speakers' tweeters are at 44", my head at 36" and I had the mic on a stool probably a foot below my head. I have the speakers tilted downwards ever so slightly---as much as the spouse will tolerate, but not nearly enough to have the tweeters aimed at my ear height while seated. She's an artist, so things that are looking out of kilter really matter to her---just FYI.  So....

A couple things to note:  Subs are REL-305 rated 25-100 hz.  They're both set at about 42 hz for the xo.  The speakers are Revel F-208 speced at -3db at 31 hz, -6db at 27 hz, and -10 db at 23 hz.

Once things quiet down in the house, I'll will lower the volume of the right sub by 4 db and re-measure...doing it with both speakers without any EQ.

Sound good???

279 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 03:56:57)

Sounds Fine RP!   

Keep in mind that this entire thing is supposed to be Fun, so don't feel you have to perform Heroics for our benefit.   This is a SAFE PLACE.  There are NO Losers...only Winners in rhe end.  (I hate to get into that Crap Philosophy, but this is different)   None of us are here to Criticize or Condemn.  If We can only get you a LITTLE  bit closer to increased enjoyment of your New RME. and ultimately, Your Music Collection...then we have Conquered the Universe! 

Curt.

O.K....totally agree.  I'm having fun with this.  So here's a 1/6 octave smoothed FR plot with the mic at listening position but at 42" height with EQ turned off and right sub down about 4 db from where the left sub is set.  What say you???

https://reho.st/self/ac4fb6813b36f071e49e29e748f2dc89e0f76fee.png

281 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 04:16:33)

Hmm...RP the Plot is a bit Blurry.  I see the Picture of course, but the Freq numbers aren't legible.   (Scratching Head)

Edit:  I see a Peak down Low, and a bit of a Null a somewhat higher.   I'd be guessing a bit, but a Room Mode, and a Seating Positiin induced Null seem plausible.

Curt962 wrote:

Hmm...RP the Plot is a bit Blurry.  I see the Picture of course, but the Freq numbers aren't legible.   (Scratching Head)

Me too....it's only importing the miniature version no matter which size I select.  Strange, but I'm trying to figure it out..

283 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 04:24:21)

Don't worry RP.   We can figure this out. 

That HF Droop drives me Batty.  I'm sure Violins sound "Honey-Like" but in Real Life they don't. smile

Curt

PS:  Noobs Wife is a Cellist in Paris.   Let's not EVEN get him on our case regarding what is "Real"  smile

284 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 05:05:27)

All this said RP...

What do YOU feel is lacking in your SQ?  Your "Over All" Plot isn't bad at all really, and Trust that there are many sitting in Rooms (Reviewing Equipment, and Describing Magical Things) that would Kill to have YOUR linearity.  smile

If I were to find a Flaw in your Data...it would be one of a "Lack of Presence"   That "Crispness" that makes us feel as though the Vocalist is RIGHT THERE!

* I believe, through many Years of exposure to Audio BS, that our Perceptions of "Good Sound"  is rather distorted.   Take Note.

Tell us.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

All this said RP...

What do YOU feel is lacking in your SQ?  Your "Over All" Plot isn't bad at all really, and Trust that there are many sitting in Rooms (Reviewing Equipment, and Describing Magical Things) that would Kill to have YOUR linearity.  smile

* I believe, through many Years of exposure to Audio BS, that our Perceptions of "Good Sound"  is rather distorted.   Take Note.

Tell us.

Curt

I think something's temporarily amiss with that rehost site.  Even with the images that I'd previously posted just fine....when I try to upload them again, it only gives me the option of the miniature.  I've rebooted the computer, etc., etc. but same results.

Well, to be honest, I thought it sounded pretty darned good with the EQ that I'd put in.  But, hey, I'm 66 yrs. old and the ears aren't what they used to be, though my hearing tests are still good. I probably can't hear anything much above 12 khz, anyway, so the super high freqs are not going to be a particular issue. Without EQ, the bass is definitely boomy.  But, I'm not super picky about things although, I'm kind of a clarity/detail nut and I'd like to get the EQ dialed in to where the measured response with EQ is as good as I can get it.  Then at that point, I figured I'll do extended listening and tweak to taste. 

I listen to a lot of jazz/female vocalists, a lot of classical, a fair amount of flamenco and classical guitar some fold, and, of course, those great oldies from the 60's and 70's.

286 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 05:31:04)

RP.  I think you're One of Us!   So....c'mon over to the Dark Side. smile

Let's do what we can, but never lose sight of Enjoying our Music.

Hey!  Tune in to our local Classical Station in NC:  WDAV.ORG.

At Christmas?  Wow!   We never go elsewhere. (Well....mostly, but there can never be enough King's Singers or Cantus for us)

Perhaps you'd enjoy that! 

Curt

287 (edited by willem 2019-08-24 07:26:31)

I see a lot has happened on the West Coast while Europe was asleep. Time to turn the tables.
1 You have a big mismatch between speaker height and listening/measurement height. As Alan Shaw, Harbeth's owner and designer, has explained on their forum, integration between drivers can only be perfect at one vertical axis. The designer has to choose this reference axis and that is the heigth the user should listen. For the vast majority of speaķer designs this reference axis is at tweeter height. So listen and measure with your ear at tweeter height, and be as precise as you can. My hunch is that this explains your strange higher frequency response.
2 Use your subs in mono. There is no directional information at these frequencies so you have nothing to loose and what you gain is mutual compensation of room mode peaks and dips and over a wider area. This is the advantage of multiple subs. Usually you set one at 0 degree phase and one at 180 degrees.
3 Where are the subs? Research by Harman suggests that one in the middle of each side wall or one at the middle of the front and one in the middle of the back wall may well produce the best results. Do experiment.
4 I think you may well be crossing over the subs quite a bit too high. My hunch would be that somewhere between 25 and 30 Hz is the right ballpark.
5 Once you have addressed all this it becomes time to think about equalization. The beauty of the rme dac is that it has these filters, but effectively you only have three where it matters, below 200 Hz. So you have to be very selective about which peaks to tame. Therefore I am combining these filters with an Antimode 8033 outboard dsp room eq unit for the subwoofer (it only works for subs). This has far more filters and does its measuring automatically. The three additional rme filters effectively only serve to tame the main speakers even though I use a combined measurement. The Antimode 8033 is quite affordable, is easy to operate and is very effective.

288 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 07:56:11)

willem wrote:

Welcome to this forum with its friendly people eager to help. My contribution would be to suggest that stereo subwoofers may not be such a good idea (two subs is, but in mono). At these low frequences there is no directional information and in stereo you miss the opportunity to let them compensate their separate room modes as they do in mono.

With a mono subwoofer setup, regardless of one or two subwoofers, you will lose the phase information of the low frequencies which even can result in cancellation of specific bass frequencies. So, two main channels, two subwoofers and with identical distances to the listening position.

For multi-channel movie sound there is a separate LFE channel (low frequency effects) and one LFE-subwoofer is fine (two are better, even 4, but in a different configuration than for music). But for music you should always use a stereo subwoofer setup.

Many tutorials or suggestions refer to a LFE subwoofer setup. For music reproduction the requirements of a subwoofer setup are very different.

Position:
The middle position of side, front or back walls is NOT a good idea (cancellation of bass frequencies).
A better position to start with is the "Goldener Schnitt" ("golden ratio", Fibonacci) with a ratio of 1:1.618.

Also to choose a main lietening position on a symmetry axis of the room has the same effect, cancellation of bass frequencies. If you have a asymmetrial room layout (for example L-form) the situation is much more complicated.

Room acoustics is "reversible". Place the subwoofer at the listening position, subwoofer height = ear height, and measeure at desired subwoofer positions (mic height = subwoofer height on the floor). Just reverse the whole setup.

rpgroman wrote:
Sparkydude wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

I don't know either, but keep in mind, these are two separate speakers, measured independently of one another.  In other words, the left speaker was off when the right was measured and vice-versa.  So, I'm not sure I would understand how there'd be a phase issue....???

Hi RP.

I hope I didn't offend by my comment.
That wasn't my intention at all.
I saw your L & R seeming to play frequencies in opposition to each other so jumped to an early conclusion.
A conclusion that is based on zero knowledge! big_smile

Listen to Curt. Ignore me. That's probably the best bet.

As for stereo vs mono subs I suggest looking at the 2006 article by Welti and Devantier. They conclude that at low frequencies the benefits of directional information are minimal at best but the advantages of smoothing from multiple mono subs are enormous.

291 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 08:01:50)

I am not talking about directional information, I am talking about phase information, which is lost with any mono signal. The mentioned article is wrong in this regard.

bejoro wrote:

I am not talking about directional information, I am talking about phase information, which is lost with any mono signal. The mentioned article is wrong in this regard.

Hi bejoro.

Can you explain why please? Why the loss of phase in mono?

293 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 08:25:42)

Phase is a relative parameter. A mono signal has no phase information because it is only one channel. A phase difference is only possible between at least two different channels.

bejoro wrote:

Phase is a relative parameter. A mono signal has no phase information because it is only one channel. A phase difference is only possible between at least two different channels.

Ah, I see. Makes perfect sense now!
I need to rewire my brain when it comes to audio as I am an electrician and see phase imbalance all the time so I presumed you could transfer that to audio.
It's clear you can't.

Thanks for clearing that up.... smile

The question is how audible this is and how potential benefits compare to the benefits of averaging peaks and dips from room modes.

296 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 09:16:45)

Oh, it is very audible. You lose important information of the music signal, even at very low frequencies.

A perfect example:
Sara K., Water Falls (lossless, no mp3)

It contains a big, room filling bass drum, very impressive.
If you listen to it with a mono subwoofer (or in mono mode), the bass drum disappears completely.

The phase difference of that bass drum is almost 180 degrees at very low frequencies generating the imagination of a room filling experience. So, with a mono sub the bass drum is completely canceled out, it disappears.

297 (edited by willem 2019-08-24 11:07:36)

As is visible in the response graph of my mono system, bass does not disappear, but extends down to at least some 15 Hz. My only real problem with low frequencies is the uneven response. For some references, see here:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/00da/5 … a1a72e.pdf
https://www.harman.com/sites/default/fi … subs_0.pdf
https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/t … in-voecks/

298 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 11:17:22)

You have obviously no understanding of what phase differences mean and how they are used in music recording and reproduction.

Home cinema is a completely different situation (LFE is always mono).

bejoro wrote:

You have obviously no understanding of what phase differences mean and how they are used in music recording and reproduction.

Home cinema is a completely different situation (LFE is always mono).

That was going to be my next question...

Home Theatre is mono for bass so why is the same not true for hifi.
So the reason is because LFE is a channel in itself which HAS to be mono (hence the single RCA cable) whereas stereo bass with subs relies on harmony with the speakers you are using....

That's my very very limited understanding of it...

300 (edited by willem 2019-08-24 12:36:27)

But there is no a priori reason why that harmony is impossible wth mono bass. The single lfe channel was chosen for no other reason than that it was believed that nothing more was necessary. The question is whether that was correct or not and in this respect there is no difference with stereo. Sound is sound, whether it is music or cannon fire (or music with cannon fire).