Topic: Setup Question: Babyface Pro and Fireface UCX together

Hi

I have a Babyface Pro for mobile recording and I'm considering buying either a Fireface UCX or Fireface 802 for my homestudio (macOS, Cubase).

Basically, the combination of UCX and Babyface Pro would fulfill all my requirements in terms of I/O if the following is possible (otherwise I'd probably go with the 802):

Use the UCX as the primary interface, connect the Babyface Pro via ADAT and then use the headphone out of the Babyface as a second headphone out and also use the main outs of the Babyface as additional line outs. So basically 4 additional outs via ADAT. The reason is that I sometimes might need 8 outputs and 2 (separate) headphone mixes, but not always.

As far as I understood the manuals, this should be possible (anybody please correct me if not).

What I'm not fully sure about yet is how I could configure the Babyface.

I see two scenarios:

Scenario A: run the Babyface in standalone mode. But then, the manual says

Of the eight ADAT channels only channels 1/2 can be controlled from the Babyface Pro.

So I'm not sure how I could set for example channels 1/2 to main out and channels 3/4 to headphone out? Or are these routed by default somehow and I don't need to set anything anyway?

Scenario B: Have both the Babyface Pro and the UCX connected via USB, (and to each other via ADAT) so I could still control the Babyface via Total Mix in terms of routing etc. Both interfaces are using the USB driver, so this should be possible, is this correct? This would actually be my preferred option, as I won't need a separat power supply then.

Any comments/inputs/ideas?

Many thanks in advance!
Stefan

Re: Setup Question: Babyface Pro and Fireface UCX together

Yes, 1/2 is default. Point is that there is no input selection possible, to select channels from the 8 incoming. USB mode will work with both devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, 1/2 is default. Point is that there is no input selection possible, to select channels from the 8 incoming.

Ok thanks

But this only applies to standalone mode, correct?
So if I connect the Babyface Pro via USB, I could route ADAT IN 3/4 to headphones (for example)?

Of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Perfect, thx!