1 (edited by Formed 2019-07-31 00:31:59)

Topic: What are your Impressions Of Balanced Phones Mode?

Hello, I've been keen on investing in either a ADI-2 DAC or ADI-2 Pro FS. I've been leaning more towards the DAC because I don't need most of the features of the Pro FS aside from its balanced phones operation mode which interests me.

I was wondering if anyone whose tried it could give their impressions, and whether it's worth the upgrade to the Pro FS for this feature alone. The manual states that the implementation focused on fidelity rather than power, and showed a rather impressive custom design for the circuitry. I'm just wondering how much this all contributes to the end user experience.

Thanks

Re: What are your Impressions Of Balanced Phones Mode?

The remote of the DAC gives you more joy than the balanced mode of the Pro. Plus the DAC is easier to use (simpler menu stucture and operation). Problem is the audiophile itching that you suffer - it won't go away until you tried balanced...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

audiophile itching

What a nice wording - so cute. I have to remember that.

I'm not even sure it is correct english...but hopefully easy to understand what I mean.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Formed 2019-07-31 17:31:19)

Yeah I do have quite the itch to try it smile. But that's why I was hoping someone who has tried it could share their experience. I know you can pair with a balanced amplifier later down the line if needed, but it wouldn't have the same great implementation that the Pro has documented, and you would be missing out on its protection circuits?

I will probably be getting the DAC, as the remote like you say is very nice to have, as well as the more attractive price.

Great choice! I am 100% sure that moving you headphones a few mm on your ears has much much more impact then balanced connections.
Wait, your mood has more influence on the listening experience then anything. Buying expensive gear can either be a mood enhancer or a stress inducer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I had the ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition and used both HD600 and HD800 in the balanced mode. I didn't notice any differences in sound to non-balanced cable. I had the 'audiophile itch'... smile

I later sold the device and regretted it. I recently got the ADI-2 DAC and even though I miss the uber sexy transparent case, I like the DAC a lot and indeed the simpler menus are great.

I got my DAC, and I can say that I'm loving it. Such a small unit that has so much power, and features. My regards to the engineers who created such an excellent product!

9 (edited by Luckbad 2019-08-05 03:49:27)

As a longtime ADI-2 DAC user and now ADI-2 Pro FS owner, get the DAC if you don't need the features of the Pro.

The DAC is much more convenient to use in a Hi-Fi setup.

The balanced headphone output is marginally better than single-ended. A very good headphone amp is better still. It also gives you the flexibility to have multiple external amps (e.g. one with tubes) with the extra cash saved.

My main setup now is the RME ADI-2 Pro FS going to an SPL Phonitor XE. I miss the ADI-2 DAC's remote and IEM output a little bit, but I use the Pro for its other features so it's worth it.

10 (edited by ramses 2019-08-05 11:50:11)

Q: doesn't the Phonitor have the same D/A converter as the ADI-2 Pro FS, AK4490 ?

(according to this review URL https://www.fairaudio.de/test/spl-phoni … -wandler/)

Interested in learning, what the Phonitor brings more for your setup ?

BTW .. if you need more digital outputs to drive more preamps, then this RME interface could be of interest to you:
http://www.rme-audio.de/products/digiface_usb.php

4x ADAT IN and OUT and each of the ADAT ports is capable to operate either in ADAT or optical SPDIF mode.
Very versatile: small formfactor and bus powered (USB).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13