1 (edited by rotbart 2019-08-18 21:26:03)

Topic: AVID S3 controlling TotalMix FX

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about to purchase an AVID S3 controller, but want to be sure that it also works with the core of my DAW system, my UFX+ and TotalMix FX!

On AVIDs S3 product page, it is mentioned under EUCON features, that also HUI and Mackie control protocol are supported!
So in theory everything should be fine and I should be able to configure my TotalMix FX MIDI settings and Mackie control options to work with the S3.

But I didn't find any confirmation about that on the internet so far... just a few threads where it seems more than problematic to get an AVID controller (like Artist Mix) and TotalMix FX to work.

Any practical values?
Is it also possible to use the controller simultaneously with Nuendo (as a DAW controller) and TotalMix FX (as a mixer)?

Thanks in advance, cheers

Win10 Pro 64bit v.1903 | Nuendo 10 latest | i7-4820K 3.7GHz | 32GB DDR3 RAM | RME Fireface UFX+

Re: AVID S3 controlling TotalMix FX

I'm using a S3 with UFX II in my studio. The S3 only functions as a remote for Pro Tools. I'm using a ARC to switch between several presets. (5.1, 5.1->2 etc) works perfectly. Don't forget that Eucon is a far more advanced remote protocol than HUI. Without Eucon I wouldn't be able to deliver mixes as fast as I do now.

It would be nice to have Eucon functionality in Totalmix to get an even tighter integration, but so far I'm a happy user.

Re: AVID S3 controlling TotalMix FX

Noyzscape wrote:

I'm using a S3 with UFX II in my studio. The S3 only functions as a remote for Pro Tools. I'm using a ARC to switch between several presets. (5.1, 5.1->2 etc) works perfectly. Don't forget that Eucon is a far more advanced remote protocol than HUI. Without Eucon I wouldn't be able to deliver mixes as fast as I do now.

I also own the ARC, but the thing is, I often want to change things fast in TotalMix FX, for example for direct monitoring several artists simultaneously! So moving different faders on several submixes is a pain in the ass with the ARC (which is in my opinion a true monitor controller) and / or mouse. So I would like to have a mixer controller like the S3 to quickly select faders and knobs to us it like a "real" mixer console...

So I thought I can implement the S3 via mackie protocol to control TotalMix FX like having a mixer console.

Win10 Pro 64bit v.1903 | Nuendo 10 latest | i7-4820K 3.7GHz | 32GB DDR3 RAM | RME Fireface UFX+