Topic: UFX+ and ES-8 ADAT Delay in Ableton Live 10.1

Hi Guys,

I have an UFX+ via USB3 and an Expert Sleepers ES-8 connected through ADAT and sync'ed to RME Internal Clock.

I am using the ES-8 to send Audio, CV, Gate to my Modular and to also receive audio, cv, from modular to Ableton Live. They should work greatly without any delay or sync problem.

What happen is that no matter what I do in Ableton Live, Track Delay, Driver Error Correction, etc, etc there is a 11-14ms delay when I record it (it's always 11-14 ms ahead of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 if you are sending 4/4 gate to modular and recording a kick for example).

This is very annoying and I can't find a single solution, went from 32khz to 192khz, 32 samples to all the top, there is always this delay. What can I do?

Windows 10,Latest May Update, 0.9685, 48Khz, ASIO 128 Samples,
https://prnt.sc/ouvdox

Re: UFX+ and ES-8 ADAT Delay in Ableton Live 10.1

What is the signal flow exactly ?
Is it i.e.: Expert Sleepers -> ADAT -> UFX+ -> USB3 -> DAW -> USB3 -> UFX+ -> monitor/phones ?
How do you measure it ?

RTL latencies of the UFX+ via USB3 are much lower at small ASIO buffersizes:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Maybe try to exclude things by changing the setup slightly:

1. try 1 or 2 different DAWs to see whether the problem persists, to exclude an Ableton issue
2. try a preamp on the ADAT port and check whether the problem persists, to exclude a problem with the ADAT port
3. eventually perform a Win7 parallel deployment on 2nd disk/ssd to exclude a problem with Win10

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Run the ableton latency compensation lesson, find out what the actual latency of the Es8 is then compensate in live

But here’s the key, live track must be OFF not auto or in, then it will only compensate

www.yila.co.uk

4 (edited by gustavoblima 2019-08-22 16:57:05)

So let's go here:

Basically the route is:

Ableton -> USB3 -> UFX+ Adat -> ES-8 -> Modular -> ES-8 -> UFX+ Adata -> USB3 -> Ableton. Something like this because first you go through USB3 for UFX+ to give something out.

Windows 7 same stuff, exact same problem.
Other DAW I've tried with Reaper, same situation it's milliseconds off.

I am going to try what you suggested iamyila, might be that honestly... but

Edit1: @iamyila how do you hear the stuff going on? If Monitor is not On, I got no sound :S (sorry stupid question I might imagine)
Edit2: @iamyila, forget it... TotalMix and it's done smile monitoring through UFX+! Also i'm 2.78ms Driver Compensation smile everything is smooth and working! Now I need to set up again my ERM+ but that's totally cool big_smile

Thanks all!

Great.

If you know reaper you can also use the reinsert plugin to ping the exact latency you need to adjust for,

You can still monitor through ableton in, but only when you are playing the instrument live so you humanly compensate.

www.yila.co.uk

All good big_smile problem solved!

You have to direct monitor through RME, all Off on monitor, and it's done big_smile

I had the same problem with Reaktor with Expert Sleepers ES-3. I ended creating a small macro in Reaktor for generating a clock that starts exactly (1 bar - latency) later. Problem solved.