Topic: UCX -ADAT-SPDIF - synchronisation workaround

Although it's covered in the user manual, there are some clever heads on this forum who may help me out.
I have a UCX, all analogue channels used, 8 ADAT channels going in via TOSLINK cable, and it's all synced fine using the UCX clock as the master. I picked up a cheap-ass A/D convertor (£2 from a charity shop) which has 2 phono inputs and a coaxial out and a TOSLINK out.  When connected using a coax cable, the SPDIF LED flashes - clock/sync error. If I set the cheap-ass A/D convertor to master, it works. But I'd rather trust the RME clock, sure you understand!
Am I wasting my time here, just to gain 2 more inputs? Or does anyone have a suggestion? The A/D convertor has no controls apart from 44.1 and 48kHz (which I use as my sampling rate anyway).
I was considering running a spdif out from the UCX to the convertor, but I'm sure it would freak out/ send that signal back to the UCX or something). It's cheap junk which will probably become a doorstop with a nice red light on...

Re: UCX -ADAT-SPDIF - synchronisation workaround

There should be no problem to have that unit being the clock master. SteadyClock cleans it up whatever it sends. Just when you try to use a different sample rate than what this unit sends you will need to change back to Internal Clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: UCX -ADAT-SPDIF - synchronisation workaround

Thanks MC! I'll see how it goes and keep an eye/ear on how it behaves alongside the other equipment