Topic: Routing question -> RME Digiface to RME Babyface to RME Dac ??!

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help answer hopefully a simple question here regarding a digital 'pitch and catch' scenario, if possible (and apologies if this has come up before in the forum!).  Would it be possible to send 'adat out' from an RME Digiface attached to Mac 1, to 'adat in' on a Babyface attached to Mac 2, which would also be sending adat/spdif out to my RME DAC for monitoring*? I'm basically looking to use my old Mac for some extra stereo group processing ITB (i.e. utilising it's CPU and taking some of the load off of the main computer!).  I'm no expert in digital clocking, but I'm hoping that the fact the audio is routed via adat over an 'all RME' setup will be possible for glitch free operation!

Thanks in advance to anyone with the answers!

Ross

*I've tried to connect both my RME Babyface and RME ADI DAC to my mac via usb in the past (selecting the RME Babyface as 'input' and RME DAC as output), however I experienced audio pops/clocking issues, hence the decision to use spdif out from my babyface instead for routing audio to the RME ADI DAC.  Please feel free to highlight any technical issues with trying to operate 2 RME devices over USB, I'm curious to know if this a big 'no no' regarding clocking!

Re: Routing question -> RME Digiface to RME Babyface to RME Dac ??!

Why not getting simply a TOS switcher 4in 1out in front of the ADI-2 DAC ?

http://www.oehlbach.com/de/detail/index/sArticle/45

Its only capable of up to 96 kHz but otherwise is working very good.

Recording Iface 1 -> ADAT OUT ->  IN 1 ---+
Recording Iface 2 -> ADAT OUT ->  IN 2 ---+
TV                        -> SPDIF OUT -> IN 3 ---+
BluRay Player      -> SPDIF OUT ->  IN 4 ---+ Optosel -> Out --> IN -- ADI-2 DAC --> AN 1/2 OUT --> Speakers
                                                                                                                             --> AN 3/4 OUT --> Phones

I leave it up to you whether to get this device from this company, because 192 kHz is simply a lie.
But its the best looking device with remote control ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a cool box, but unfortunately I'm looking to run 8 channels of adat audio out from a Digiface usb (yet to be purchased, but looks like a logical choice?) from Mac 1 (running Logic Pro X) to be received by my Babyface connected to Mac 2 (running another copy of LPX) and processed further ITB, then outputted via adat to the rme adi dac for monitoring. I think this is possible, but if anyone can confirm that would be amazing!

Thanks,

Ross

4 (edited by ramses 2019-09-14 08:57:02)

Yes, these are plain simple ADAT connection

MAC1 -> MAC2 -> ADI-2 Pro (understands both, ADAT protocol, but can only use the 1st two channels, and optical SPDIF)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses! Excited to try this out now!

Ross

ramses wrote:

Yes, these are plain simple ADAT connection

MAC1 -> MAC2 -> ADI-2 Pro (understands both, ADAT protocol, but can only use the 1st two channels, and optical SPDIF)