Topic: Does audio being routed out, over ADAT, lose gain on receiving end?

Hi folks,

I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs of ADAT cables and such. I figured since the audio is being transferred "digitally" it was basically lossless - as opposed to analog, over XLR cables, where the farther the audio travels the more "power" is loses, so to speak.

I have a Babyface Pro and am routing my mic audio out over ADAT line to a DIGIface USB. The Babyface Pro and DIGIface are plugged in to 2 separate computers.

On my Babyface Pro computer, I can see that my mic input is reaching certain input levels when I speak.

On my DIGIface computer, the mic inputs levels, coming from the ADAT input, are not reaching the same peaks as I see on the Babyface Pro computer.

I am assuming I need to give a bit of gain to this input on the DIGIface side, but is this to be expected? For some reason, I figured ADAT would operate more like USB where it was just an exact digital audio stream regardless of routing.

Re: Does audio being routed out, over ADAT, lose gain on receiving end?

You cannot give 'gain' on the ADAT input. What you have to do is set the routing correctly - Mic in to ADAT out on the BF Pro, with faders at 0 dB in TotalMix FX. Then the levels will be identical on both units.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME