1 (edited by El Duderino 2008-12-08 17:21:06)

Topic: lost recording after complete crash of fireface 400

Hello!

On Wednesday we played live and recorded it with the following sytem:
Asus P5B - Deluxe
Intel Core2Duo 6600
2 GB Kingston RAM
E-MU 1820m - as soundcard for Ableton Live 7
Fireface400 - as seperate Recordingtool, buspowered.
Windows XP Prof (SP2) of course ;-)

In a session a few days ago, this setup was perfect. But on wednesday, the Fireface crashed in some way. That means the leds of the card blinked and faded in funny and never seen way. It was a little light show :-)
We recognized this behaviour at the end of the show, but checked in the middle sometimes and it seems everything is okay. Digicheck was set up to save the temporary file at a separate HD, Ableton never touched this HD and the Fireface. Maybe the buspowered current wasn't at some time enough so Digicheck crashed. The interface of the software wasn't completely frozen. For example the menues reacted and also i could click stop (which stopped recording) and save but not the mutings or solo or arm or play buttons. When I clicked save Digicheck asked where to, but then sayed it wasn't able to save because the place for the temporary file isn't setup right. In the folder there were only a zero byte file wich I couldn't copy manually - reading the file was not possible. So at the end I killed the application and shutdown the system. Since then I doesn't touched the system.
Now my big question:
Is it possible to rescue the recording until the point of failure?
What happened on this evening and how can we avoid it in future?

With best regards
Bruno

PS: Undelete tools didn't find the zero byte file and nothing which could be the recording. But I can't believe, that DC deleted fully the whole recording because of the crashed hardware..

Re: lost recording after complete crash of fireface 400

I had exact same problem... power to external HDD lost during recording, digicheck on laptop froze, so I had to re-boot. Now, I need to recover data written to HDD. Can you help?

Re: lost recording after complete crash of fireface 400

DC doesn't delete anything. If the recording fails the file will be like it was at that moment, a temporary file which might become invalid when it is not possible to close it.

If the temp file still exist all you have to do is start DC again, it will ask what to do then.
If it not exists an undelete program may find something...or not...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME