Topic: Useing Multiple PCIe Cards?

I am thinking of upgrading my system in the near future, I have a question for the pros on this forum.

1, So, Can you install and use simultaneously multiple PCIe cards, I would like to use 1 HDSPe RayDAT Card and 1 HDSPe AES card.

I do have enough empty PCIe slots on my PC.

2, If so will all available channels show up in TotalMix?"

ASUS P5BV-C,Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz,Q9300,
4gig Ram,XPsp2 MOTU828Mk3,M-Audio ProFire2626,

Re: Useing Multiple PCIe Cards?

1) Yes, the Windows driver supports up to 3 HDSP/HDSPe cards and will show up as a single ASIO device in software.

2) There is a separate TotalMix window for each card. Routing inputs form one card to outputs of the other card (for Zero Latency Monitoring) will require some digital audio connection between the cards.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

2) There is a separate TotalMix window for each card. Routing inputs form one card to outputs of the other card (for Zero Latency Monitoring) will require some digital audio connection between the cards.

So if I wanted input 1 on card 1 to go to output 1 one card 2 i would have to route input 1 on card 1 to output 1 on card one to input 1 on card 2 and output 1 on card 2? That kinda sucks? Is this what you meant?

So I could not send all channels from card 1 to a stereo bus on card 2 or vise versa?

VigilantSound wrote:

So I could not send all channels from card 1 to a stereo bus on card 2 or vise versa?

You could do so with an SPDIF cable. There is no direct routing between separate cards' mixers.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I see, Thank You.

Any chance this behavior will be changed in the future?

Can you still use DAW input monitoring and monitor all channels of both cards on a stereo bus on just one card?

Only with the above workaround.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi VigilantSound, let me try to sum up.

TotalMix is actually in the card, you only use the graphical interface to manipulate routing and mixing. This what makes  Zero Latency Monitoring (and ASIO Direct Monitoring) possible - the input is passed directly to some output.

When you use two RME interfaces, there are two possible monitoring scenarios. Either use the DAW software for monitoring (with latency) or create a physical connection between the cards to pass a submix (no latency).

For example: you have 2 cards, A and B. You will monitor all input signal at the output of Card B. In the mixer for Card A, you can create a submix of all your inputs on any output pair, then connect this output to an input of Card B. At this point, you can mix the inputs of Card B with the signal coming from Card A to create your monitoring mix.

Of course, the number of submixes possible is only limited by the channel count of the card, so you can also create several different headphone mixes at Card B as well.

I hope that is a bit more clear.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, Thank you.