Topic: Tansfer rs232 with ADI-648 ??

Hi!

I have two ADI-648 as a digital multicore, would it possible in some not to expensive way to transfer RS232 in the MADI line, maybe with an external box after the MADI connection.

Thanks!
Patrik, Sweden

Re: Tansfer rs232 with ADI-648 ??

Sorry, not possible. To add/extract the data you need a complete MADI receiver and transmitter, which is the most expensive part. So you will end up in buying a unit that supports this, like the ADI-6432 or the ADI-642.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply.
Do you know if there i such a thing as a rs232-midi adapter that could do the job?
If I would use the adi6432 just to transfer rs232 could it just pass MADI to the adi642?
I think I?ve seen something for the audio-service Yamaha Madi card that merges madi and rs232 but I can not find it.

Thanks for your time
// Patrik

Patrik,

as far as I'm aware, the Audio-Service device is a box to send a few serial signals packed together in a separate optical fibre, but there is no merging of MADI and serial data.

In priciple it is possible to send RS232 down the MIDI path as long as you don't exceed the MIDI bitrate of 31250 bd and also stick to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. The only device you would need is a little box to buffer your serial data and read it in and out with the correct data rates. This is not very complicated for someone who knows how to program a microcontroller.
I'm not aware of any box like this on the market.

Kind regards,
Stephan Flock