Topic: Feature Request / Splitting long records

Hello!

This weekend we recorded a complete festival with my FF UC and it worked fine. But the soundman requested one feature which would be quite simple but very comfortable:
When one act ended we would like to click on a "Split"-button which renames the temporary file and begin another one. So there is no danger for the already recorded gigs (Once we recorded an evening and the FF400 crashed - the complete temporary file was gone). Maybe this can be done in a "marker"-way: Every new chapter you click on the button and at the end when its time for saving/converting to normal files you can choose in a simple dialog how do you want the splits been handled. Save to
- one big file
- seperate files
- select which "takes" you want to been splitted and which not (in this case a naming system _during_ the recording would be a good thing)

At least a simple version shouldn't be a big problem to implement.

Good evening.

Re: Feature Request / Splitting long records

Loosing the temporary file will usually not happen. DC includes several means to prevent that. I bet that happened some time ago on an older version of DC.

Closing the file and starting a new one with a simple click is already on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Loosing the temporary file will usually not happen. DC includes several means to prevent that. I bet that happened some time ago on an older version of DC.

I had a crash, before saving a recording session, just the other day (using DC 5.0)... How can I recover the temp file? The data must be on the drive (external) and I haven't written to it, to avoid overwrite, but I don't know how to get it back.

Also, I can't open long multitrack record files in AA because they get truncated... Any advice on this?

Thanks

As you more clearly wrote in the other thread (power to external HDD lost during recording) there is no way for any software not to prevent data loss in such a case. You can try typical undelete software to see if something exists, like

http://www.recuva.com/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This feature is probably a good idea, because then the unattended recording will be easier to mix down when you have splitted the recordings into smaller files.

jorgenv wrote:

This feature is probably a good idea, because then the unattended recording will be easier to mix down when you have splitted the recordings into smaller files.

Especially Wavelab at a 32 bit Windows is not able work with very big files over 2 GB. This size is in 24bit resolution easy to reach. You can only work with disk streaming sequencers to master the recording or to split it in parts.

This is not true. WaveLab can handle both wav files with limit-exceeding lenghth as well as the RIFF64 format with unlimited size.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This is not true. WaveLab can handle both wav files with limit-exceeding lenghth as well as the RIFF64 format with unlimited size.

In my configuration Wavelab works with an temporary 32bit floating point wave file - I think this is the default stetting. So when I open a 5 hours mp3 recording Wavelab converts this until the RAM is full. Multiple times tested. Maybe the problem was another point? Don't know - we worked with Cubase without problems after the trouble with Wavelab.
Fact is: splitted files for better overview during recording a long weekend is very useful :-)