Topic: No second window possible during recording

Hello!

When we recorded the last weekend a festival it wasn't possible to open a new DC window while the recording was active. Of course we couldn't abort the recording. I only remember that I was able to do that at my studio pc.
Hardware: New Thinkpad R-Series; FF UC
All the newest drivers, firmware and DC.

Re: No second window possible during recording

Works over here.

Doing so makes no real sense, but causes lots of problems. Interruptions in the recording, computer overload, soundcard driver stalling...that's why we think about removing this 'feature'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Doing so makes no real sense, but causes lots of problems. Interruptions in the recording, computer overload, soundcard driver stalling...that's why we think about removing this 'feature'.

That would be really a pity because analyzing the input during recording is a really good thing and not something senseless in my / our opinion. But of course the stability has priority.

No, I mean a second DC Record window.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No, I mean a second DC Record window.

Ah. Okay. That wouldn't hurt especially when you implement something like a split function. :-)

6 (edited by Schubertriad 2009-09-02 13:01:53)

MC wrote:

Works over here.

bad to read this...HeadScratch
I was thinking and hopping in opposite direction actually, to bring the DC end user a wonderful redundance capability not offered elsewhere AFAIK
There are people only recording stereo material, or very limited amount of channels, but for which the securing of audio data is important in case of long run recording instance
Let me give an example
- starting a first Digirecorder instance into the laptop main HD, lest's call it DR1, with no interruption from the early start of the music event till the end (the background recorder in my mind)
- next starting two others DR2 and DR3 instances from the same input material, but addressing another system or external hard disk than DR1, and used for breaking down the overall concert into parts upon preference (song, concerto movement..)
the idea here is to perform successive cuts by swapping between both, one saving its last audio data whereas the next is recording the pending music

If you fail DR2 or DR3 by mistake or HD failure, overload...then you save your day thanks to DR1 ... and reversealy
If everything rocks (as usual with my RME gear) then you save a good time and secure further work in DAW by having the concert cut out already completed :-)
I did a check for a while in stereo at 96kHz SR, works flawless (however addressing my desktop HD due to current DC limitation)

At the end it belongs to the man behind the machine to run or not that feature according to system performance
Any thoughts from folks out there?

So please, at least do not remove this from DC !

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II