1 (edited by Blackinfinity 2009-09-09 11:39:55)

Topic: Smurf Sound

Yeah, I think this might be a bug for the HDSPe AIO. I have noticed, sometimes  after been using Cakewalk and closed the program, which use an different sample rate, the sound card seem to fail to restore the normal sample rate. I get a smurfy sound/high pitched sound,  The only solution seem to be to close all web browsers and mediaplayers, then the driver seem to play up the audio in the correct sample rate...Is this just a bug...or do I have wrong settings ? However...it is irritating that I need to close all programs...it should not be needed.

Re: Smurf Sound

Yeah the problem is still no solved with the latest drivers.

You can replicate this by have an web browser open with any tabs that includes video wmv stream.

You then open Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 play a project, then close sonar and go back. even after Sonar is closed the Rme drivers is locked to use 48k, which make the sound/video playback sound faster since it should be played in 44k.

The only way to solve this is to change close mode to Master and activate DDS and manually choose 44.100. Or you can close and restart all programs that is affected by this bug....

It is definitely a bug..even after Sonar is closed it should not lock all programs to use 48k.

I don't understand this one. When closing Sonar the other programs have no reason to change the current sample rate - they don't do and the hardware is not told to do so. Programs set the sample rate on start, not in-between.

If you had been working in 44.1, then started Sonar so the sf changed to 48, you will have to start another program after Sonar' closing to set it back to 44.1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I know since I use auto sync, Frequency should change automatically. Obviously sometimes this does not work, it must be a bug in the auto sync function.  The problem might only be evident for us Sonar users...

Per se AutoSync has nothing to do with the above. Is the unit slave and if so clocked to what clock?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Autosync have everything to do with this, that media is played in wrong clock frequency must be  because of the auto sync clock, as I said, the only
way to fix this is to manually set the clock frequency to 44k, or turn off all media players/web browsers etc...

It is most definitely a bug, how can I do something wrong ?
It can't be my fault that my sound card plays 44k media in 48k...
It is because the autosync clock is locked to 48k for some reason...

I have not tried other DAWs besides SONAR 8x....

Think I have solved the problem. When enabling "share audio drivers with other programs" then the problem seem not to exist anymore...
If it is any RME problem or an Sonar problem it is up to you to decide... If you ask me... media should always be played in the correct clock speed.

Ok... Seems the problem still exist... even when I have "share audio drivers with other programs" enabled in Sonar 8.5
Must be a RME bug in the drivers for sure... very frustrating that the automatic clock does not work.

Maybe it's a good idea to read the manual and see what 'AutoSync' really means.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME