1 (edited by Ted Perlman 2007-07-16 00:03:55)

Topic: ADI-2 shuts down when input too high?

I have an ADI-2. I was previously using an M-Audio Flying Cow. I was under the impression that the sound would be greatly improved by using the ADI-2 but that has not been the case.

#1 - if the input level gets too high, the ADI-2 simply shuts down, and then resets itself. Huh? Perhaps I want the sound of overdriven converters. Who decided how high I can go input-wise? This is using the SPDIF out of my HDSP 9652 to lock the box or without using the SPDIF clock. The Flying Cow, OTOH, accepts whatever input level I throw at it.

#2 - I get clicks throughout my mix when I mix through the ADI-2, clocked or not clocked (analog in from an analog mix desk). None with the Cow.

#3 - Where is the great sound? I cannot hear any difference from the Flying Cow. Shouldn't the difference be noticeable? Even the guy who designed the not-so-new anymore Cow told me that the sound would probably be better using the ADI-2.  When I switched from my Delta 1010's the RME HDSP 9652, the difference was noticeable immediately.

Is my ADI-2 in need of repair?

Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer, Arranger, Guitarist, Theologian

Re: ADI-2 shuts down when input too high?

Ted,

Ted Perlman wrote:

#1 - if the input level gets too high, the ADI-2 simply shuts down, and then resets itself. Huh? Perhaps I want the sound of overdriven converters. Who decided how high I can go input-wise?

Nobody. Never heard of such a phenomenon. Definitely not something the unit is designed to do...

#3 - Where is the great sound? I cannot hear any difference from the Flying Cow. Shouldn't the difference be noticeable? Even the guy who designed the not-so-new anymore Cow told me that the sound would probably be better using the ADI-2.

Are you referring to AD or DA?

When I switched from my Delta 1010's the RME HDSP 9652, the difference was noticeable immediately.

What converters did you use? The HDSP 9652 does not really have a "sound" of its own.

Is my ADI-2 in need of repair?

Quite possibly.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: ADI-2 shuts down when input too high?

RME Support wrote:

Are you referring to AD or DA?

AD - Out from my analog mix desk > ADI2 > SPDIF in of my HDSP9652 > Nuendo

Quite possibly

Sigh...thanks! I waited so long to get the ADI2, and expected it to be great. Back to the shop it goes!

Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer, Arranger, Guitarist, Theologian