1 (edited by likelystory 2009-12-27 04:20:15)

Topic: Strange latency / distortion problem on Windows 7 64

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 from Windows 7 32 and have installed the latest 3.0.8.2 driver.  I'm using Nuendo 4.x for my main DAW.

Here is the very strange problem:

At buffer size 32/512/1024/2048/4096 audio plays back from the main ADAT 1&2 outputs with no problems.  At buffer sizes 64/128/256 I get NO audio output.  If I create a secondary output in Nuendo (Devices -> Outputs) and assign it to outputs 3&4/5&6/7&8 then any track played back through this new set of outputs is garbled (or silent) at EVERY buffer size except 512.

The same hardware with Windows 7 32 (older driver and probably older firmware) performed fine.  Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

------------------
Nuendo 4.3.0.371 PC
ASUS P5Q
Core 2 Quad Q9400
NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
8GB DDR2-800
RME HDSP 9652

Re: Strange latency / distortion problem on Windows 7 64

Not something I've heard of. Do you see an audio signal anywhere in Totalmix at the affected settings?
Have you tested other software (e.g. Reaper)?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Wrong forum, go there:

http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewforum. … 7c727995b0

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Actually, I'm in the right forum (this is RME support is it not?) and FWIW I am not using the 64bit version of Nuendo.

It was definitely a problem with the RME as the problem was the same in other software too.  After reflashing the firmware it seems to be working okay but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

I've managed to reproduce the issue again.  I'll try and nail a 100% repro.

I'm getting this problem pretty consistently now.  Has anyone else seen it?

Not something I've come across, sorry. Is your Nuendo version the latest update? Can this be reproduced with other ASIO software?

And have you tried posting on the Nuendo forum?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply.  It seems to affect everything related to the RME on my system e.g. Nuendo, Media Player, VLC etc.   It mainly seems to happen (at least it's easier to reproduce) if I switch between latency settings on the RME system tray control panel while a session is loaded.  It happened with other ASIO software and I didn't have any issues on Windows 7 32bit so I don't think the problem is with Nuendo specifically.

Perhaps I can downgrade the RME firmware?  When I went to Windows 7 64bit I flashed my RME with the latest firmware as part of the overall system upgrade.

9 (edited by undertone 2010-01-19 19:52:34)

Have you assigned your RME card as the Windows 7 system audio card? I experienced a different problem with randomly changing buffer sizes and using the motherboard's built-in audio for system audio solved these issues.

It seems there's some issues with sharing the RME drivers between ASIO and WDM Audio in Windows 7 (64-bit here also). Completely segregating my RME card from the system audio solved my problem.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have disabled onboard audio and the only other audio device I use is a little MAudio device for running PT M-Powered.  RME is definitely my main audio card in the system with WDM audio assigned to outputs 7&8 (ADAT1) and then via TotalMix I'm sending those to my main 1&2 output which I monitor.

11 (edited by undertone 2010-01-20 00:24:23)

I'm not sure you understood me:

1. Do NOT use the RME card as the Windows 7 system audio.
2. Re-enable your onboard audio and set W7 to use the motherboard audio as system's main audio card.
3. Then see if you still have problems when running ASIO software with your RME card.

Completely separating system audio from ASIO audio is what solved my problem. Sorry if I wasn't clear. To hear it, I routed the analog out of the motherboard to 2 spare inputs of my mixer (they're noisy as hell!).  Anytime I do want to route system audio to the RME card, I select it in the Sound Applet, but whenever I use ASIO I select the motherboard audio there. It's a bit awkward, but it is a workaround.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Thanks for the clarification - unfortunately not a very viable option for me as the computer is at the studio and multiple engineers need to just use it and have it work. Strange that these problems didn't occur on Windows 7 32bit with a previous firmware though.