Topic: playing back avchd on hdspe

I recorded my gig the other night on my hg21 camcorder from canon. It wont play back any footage in windows media player 11 because I have the sound card set to my rme card. As soon as i set it to the built in sound card the movie plays back fine. I'de perfer to playback on my hdspe audio card because of the sound quailty.

Why is wmp11 not liking my card?  It works fine in vlc(any version)

Re: playing back avchd on hdspe

Driver version? Exact setting used? Which Windows version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

latest driver 3.082, windows 7x64, hdspe
settings.? it doesnt work for any of the rme outputs.

Can you sent me a short clip (just a few seconds so that the file stays small) by email to reproduce this error?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i need your email addy so i can attach the sample file for you!
chris

Got it and see problem. Thanks!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok great

Can you please try driver version 3.083? It solved the problem on our systems.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/hdsp_wdm_3083.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Working now on my system! Thanks so much for the support.

ok i stumbled into the same thing and did a little research. The avchd only works when you have the driver set to rme speakers in the sound control panel. If you set it to anything other then 1 and 2, it wont play. I run cubase through outs 1 and 2..So i want my wmp11 using outs 9 and 10 or at least 3 and 4..I thought this was fixed, but its not. Sorry.
Maybe this is related to DX sound? But like i said, I tend to use cubase for outs 1 and 2

Chris

What exactly do you mean by 'not play'? I can assign Windows standard playback to any channel and it will play. I see the signal in TM's second row, the third row, and at the outputs. Checked with Multiface. Playback as analog and digital signal, according to the settings and choice of device.

Maybe you have more than 2 channels active in Cubase (F4, VST Connections) and therefore ASIO is blocking the WDM playback?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for the delay. Nope, asio isnt blockign my ports. Its not even ruunning with this issue. Set windows audio out to anything other then outs 1 and 2 and the video file will not play. It only plays back on speakers which is 1 and 2. So it plays back but just only in outs 1 and 2 in wmp 11 windows 7

My Windows 7 has WMP 12...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

indeed, my version is 12.7600.

Now if you would finally reveal which RME product you are using...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

lol HDSPe AES smile

Ok, we will test this one again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hows is this coming along?

It seems to work here:
- Windows 7 x64
- Media player 12
- your file: 00199.MTS
- HDSPe AES card
- RME driver 3.083 (02/19/2010)
- playback device AES(3+4) or AES(7+8)

I also tried different format settings in the Windows sound control panel / properties of AES(3+4), AES(7+8) / advanced / format:
- 16 bit 44100 Hz
- 16 bit 48000 Hz
- 24 bit 44100 Hz
- 24 bit 48000 Hz

Sounds fine.

Uggg, i just tried playing around for 20 mins. I have a aurora 16 channel converter. I tried to run it as master/slave..Any combo..I set my da to 44 and 48. Same thing. But now when its set to 48, i hear digital distortion. If i run rme as master same thing, distortion again. If i run it lynx as master and set to 44 it only works on rme speakers 1 and 2..

I dont know what else to say.

Very simple: you use it the wrong way. Your test file includes 2 channels of Dolby AC-3. Set to Master the AES will play back

- analog (decoded) stereo audio on the Loudspeaker device (channels 1/2) at 48 kHz

- AC-3 (what you call digital distortion) on all other devices at 48 kHz

If you want to play back analog (decoded) signals from other channels than 1/2 you have to use the Windows settings of those channels and disable the AC-3 and DTS property (control panel/sound/select device as standard/properties/advanced or similar, remove the checkboxes)

If the card is slave and you set the wrong sample rate (your file includes 48 kHz digital audio) Windows will automatically sample rate convert the audio - which obviously is only possible if it is decoded at the same time.

BTW, in TotalMix you can always see if AC-3 (constant high level) or normal audio (normal meter movement) is sent out. Better information as hearing at the converter, as you can not be sure if that one mutes an incoming AC-3 stream!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wow Matthias it works. Thank you so much. This is why i have purchase my last 3 sound cards from your company.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

I forgot to ask you something previously, I saw a video where someone mentioned that sequioa's dsp processing gets offloaded and processed on your dsp cads? Is this true? I cant find any information on this.

That is not true at all, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME