Topic: Issues with using Multiset/Multiface in Disconnect/standalone mode

Sorry for the long post, but I'm completely stumped at this point... 

I have been using the following setup for several years, and it has worked flawlessly:

Fireface 800 (master)
Audiolink 96 Multiset (slave via Adat In) - (this is basically a rebranded Multiface, to the best of my understanding)
Behringer ADA8000 (slave via ADAT In)

I recently purchased a used Multiface to replace the Behringer so that I could have the option of operating at 96k (the Behringer only does 48k).  Against the old adage of "change one thing at a time", I then did the following:

- installed the host Hammerfall PCI card (rev 1.7) into my current audio computer using the 2.9.4.6 driver so that I could configure the I/O boxes
- updated the host Hammerfall PCI card's firmware using the flash update utility dated 2/17/2009 from the RME web site. (no failures during update)
- Updated the FF800's firmware to revision 2.77 using the flash update utility dated 11/03/2009 from the RME web site. (no failures during update)
- set the Multiset to "AutoSync", "ADAT In" under Pref. Sync Ref, 128 sample buffer size, and then selected "Disconnect" prior to unplugging the I/O box

The Multiset now will not link to my Fireface 800 via Adat In.  The Host error light remains on, and the ADAT link light remains off.  I have purchased new ADAT cables, experimented with different buffer settings, etc. with no success.  The Multiface also acts just like the Multiset - both I/O boxes work when connected to the PCI host card, but neither works when I select "Disconnect" and try to use them standalone. 

Other items of interest:

- the Behringer syncs to the FF800 via ADAT In just as it always has
- the FF800 syncs (as slave) to the Multiset or Multiface via ADAT In

For now, my temporary solution is to use the Multiset or Multiface attached to the PCI host card, and use the FF800 as slave via ADAT In.  Have I done something incorrectly here, or are there known issues of which I am not aware?  Thanks for any help.

Re: Issues with using Multiset/Multiface in Disconnect/standalone mode

What is the setting for "Limit Bandwidth" in the FF800 settings app? In the Multiface settings, is SPDIF in set to Coaxial? Did you remember to create the routings from ADAT in to Analog out in the Multiface mixer?

Note that ADAT Lightpipe only carries 4 channels at 96 kHz.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by shive 2010-02-15 22:35:22)

Thanks for your quick response, Jeff.  "Limit Bandwidth" is set to "All Channels", and Multiface has SPDIF set to coaxial.  I set up routings in TotalMix prior to disconnecting as follows:

In1 > A1
In2 > A2
In8 > A8

and

In11 > AN1
In12 > AN2
In18 > AN8

This make me wonder whether the bottom set should be routed In9-In16 rather than In11-In18.  (I was assuming that SPDIF would be In9 and In10), but now I'm thinking SPDIF might be In17 and In18 instead.)  I think I'll change that in TotalMix and see if that makes a difference.

And I'm trying all of this at 48k, BTW.  I just wanted to have the option of using the Multiface and Multiset at 96k in the future, though I understand that would cut my external chaqnnels in half.

Following up:

Changing In11-In18 to In9-In16 (all still routed to AN1-AN8) makes no difference.  The host error light stays on and no ADAT lock.  Should the host error light still be on after I hit Disconnect?  Or should it stay on until it finds an externasl sync source?

Thanks again.

SPDIF is 11&12, you had it right the first time. The HOST LED should light up when disconnected - it means there is no communication with the HDSP card. But, the ADAT light should be lit solid to show that this input is active and synced.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

You mean 9&10, right?  Any other thoughts on why I can't get the ADAT to sync?  What gets me is that when I first got the FF800, I just hooked up the Multiset via ADAT and it worked without ever having to hook it up to the host PCI card to tweak first.  I'm wondering whether I've done something to change the internal settings on the I/O box and make it not work in Disconnect mode.  The fact that both the Multiset & Multiface won't sync but the Behringer will makes me think it's a PCI card or TotalMix setting.  But I'm at a loss for what setting that might be.

On the FF800, In 1-10 is analog, 11-12 is SPDIF, 13-20 is ADAT 1, 21-28 is ADAT 2.

You are plugging in external power before you unplug the unit from the HDSP PCI, right?

What gets me is that when I first got the FF800, I just hooked up the Multiset via ADAT and it worked without ever having to hook it up to the host PCI card to tweak first.

It cannot work this way. There is no internal memory in the unit, this is why you need to keep external power connected to the Multiface when you use Disconnect mode.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

That's the part I didn't understand.  I thought it retained settings after it was unplugged and powered off.  I suppose it worked on the old system because after I upgraded to the FF I left the PCI card connected for the I/O box to draw power, though I was using the Fireface ASIO driver therefore everything was routing through the FF and the Multiset was simply acting like an I/O box under the control of the PCI card.

Thanks a lot for clarifying this for me, Jeff.  Unfortunately, the Fireface won't work on my new machine when I have the Hammerfall PCI card installed (FF settings or totalmix won't display and host error light on FF stays lit), so I'll have to figure that out if I want the FF and MS/MF working together.  sad   Sounds like another thread in the making, though I know the more long term and appropriate solution is an ADI-8 or similar.  smile