Topic: Multiface I with HDSP Cardbus to Expresscard adapter snow leopard

I just bought a multiface and a cardbus hammerfall card, which i am running through a cardbus to expresscard adapter.  I installed 1.73 drivers.  Should update anymore?  At the moment it's not working, it shows up but i can't get it to work.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Multiface I with HDSP Cardbus to Expresscard adapter snow leopard

More details, please. What exactly doesn't work? What kind of computer is this?
1.73 is not designed for SL.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yeah, sorry.  I am on an intel Macbook pro, and bought a a cardbus HDSP card.  I can hear audio through the inputs, and see the audio in totalmix.  However, i have no playback and can hear nothing coming out of the computer. 

Also, i use Logic and it recognizes the multiface, but i can't record anything or playback anything from logic.

Should i downgrade to Leopard?  Not the biggest deal in the world.

bump...can anyone help?

buy the right card (Express card from RME) adaptors like that rarely work

thats great but i don't necessarily have the money to do that.  I know multiple people who have this same setup and it works fine.

I have downgraded to leopard.  I have installed the drivers as per instructions, and the card is showing up, and i can see in the settings that it is picking up the multiface.  I just can't flash the cardbus and i actually don't know which one i need to download to flash properly.  I have to use the cardbus to expresscard adapter, so i don't know if i can flash the card through that.

Also, can i flash my card on a windows computer and then use it on a mac?

Does the settings dialog indicate a flash update is required? Else, no need to do so.
And yes, you could do so on a PC.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yeah, there is nothing that says it needs to be updated.  If i am running an intel mac with leoperd, what should be the drivers i should be running.  I only have an HDSP Cardbus and a multiface 1.

i am running leoperd 10.5.2

Also, i read teh multiface manual and it says to check the system profiler to see if the card is showing up, and it is although it's not named Hammerfall HDSP, which i guess it should be.  Maybe it's cardbus to expresscard adapter?

my Hammerfall settings look like this.  It is recognizing the card but it doesn't seem to be locking in.

[img align=c]http://www.timothy-mann.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/screen-capture.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps a bit

anyone?  sorry, i don't know anywhere else to get help.

Hi Tim,

Please click the "About" button in the Settings app, this will have info regarding the installed firmware version and driver.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yeah, the About section looks like below.
[img align=c]http://www.timothy-mann.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/screen-capture.png[/img]

OK, so when you select the Multiface as default output device in System Preferences, then launch iTunes and play some audio, you hear no output? Please check with headphones and the front panel output.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I hear nothing on playback.

I can hear my guitar when plugged into input 1 though, and that signal shows up in totalmix.  But i can't record it in Logic.  So no playback on anything, and not recording, but i can input sound into the channels, and those sounds output to my monitors.

Thanks Jeff

If it works normal on the Windows laptop you mentioned above, then there is clearly some trouble introduced by your adapter.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

i actually had a lot of trouble installing the drivers on windows as xp wouldn't let me reboot the computer after i installed, because they thought the drivers were malicious or something.  So i couldn't actually see if it was working or not. 

I am going to try a different cardbus adaptor, and see what that does.  this one seems to be just creating problems.

Somehow on complete accident I ran into this thread and didn't even mean to find this (google sent me here).  Yet I am probably one of the only people out there using the exact setup you're talking about.

First of all, you cannot run this setup on Snow Leopard so don't even waste your time.  You said you know many people doing it but that's simply not true.  Snow Leopard doesn't even support Standard PCMCIA to Expresscard adapters.  They dropped that support with Leopard 10.5 so if you need to run the setup you have, you will be on 10.5 leopard.  I spent many months trying to work with Apple, Dual systems adapter etc and Apple refuses to write support for the adapters (all brands).  Do a basic google search for the adapters.  You will see that ALL of them have a warning right on the box that says "DOES NOT WORK IN SNOW LEOPARD".  Yes, they even put it in bold as I typed it, it's not me being a freak.

With that said, I use the dual systems adapter with my pcmcia cardbus and it works beautifully with driver version 1.73.  Unfortunately RME has stopped writing drivers for this device (unless they plan on being nice and writing an update for people like me who still use this setup smile).

However, if you have the "old" cardbus which is the one that is completely flat and uses the "proprietary" RME firewire cable (it's the one that is very brittle and scares you every time you go to plug it in) you don't stand a chance.  I spent 6 months trying to make it work, flashed it, updated it, went through every driver RME offered etc.  It does not work in Leopard or Snow Leopard (but it worked perfectly in Tiger 10.4).

One side warning - if you try to flash your cardbus through the adapter, you're screwed.  If it fails, the card is ruined (you will be paying 150 dollars or more for RME to reprogram the card).  Trust me, been there already.  So do not even THINK about updating that card through the adapter.  If you already have and failed, don't let your pride get in the way.  The card is ruined (unless you have the newest white and green version which I am about to tell you about).

Now if you have the "newER" version of the cardbus (not expresscard) which accepts a standard type of firewire cable and is a green label on the face, then you're in luck.  This is the only one that works in Leopard through the adapter.  Flash it on a PC with a true PCMCIA slot with the newest firmware (which technically is old).  This card also has a "backup" flash on it incase you screw it up. 

If you have the newer version it will work with leopard, I have used both Multiface 1 (which died on me and RME replaced for a Multiface 2 for an upgrade fee on top of the repair fee) and Multiface 2 (my current setup).  I have been using it for 2 years now (The setup is currently running on the machine I am typing to you on).

If you don't meet the requirements above, get the new expresscard version and call it a day.  If you can't afford it, then roll back to Tiger or use a PC or you can go through all the grueling ideas running through your head until you finally give up smile.  Other then that you will be left with an expensive audio device sitting around collecting dust (Mine sat around for over a year).

Cheers

Multiface 2, Lavry DA10, Bricasti M7 V2, ATC Monitors
Windows 7 64-bit, i930 Processor, Cubase 6.5