1 (edited by anttipi 2010-02-18 04:52:25)

Topic: HDSP 9632 clicks/pops in Win 7 64-bit

I'm having a problem with my HDSP 9632. No matter what the buffer size, I get intermittent clicks/pops/minor stuttering/other nasty artefacts (every two or three seconds or so) during audio playback - in BFD2, Cubase or just playing mp3's with Media Player or watching YouTube.

They sound pretty similar to what you could expect when the buffer setting is wrong but changing the buffer doesn't remedy the situation one bit.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, a quad-core Phenom II, 4GB RAM and Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard. All components are brand new including the HDSP which I bought in December.   

I've tried uninstalling/re-installing the latest RME drivers, flashed the firmware, tried to tick all sorts of different boxes in the DSP settings, tried changing settings from the Windows audio panel, made sure the card is correctly in place, tried installing in another PCI slot, checked my power cabling etc. Basically anything I can think of right now. All the drivers (including chipset drivers) in my system are up-to-date.

I have tried both the S/PDIF and analog (headphones) out with similarly disappointing results. My headphones and speakers are working ok. Before my present rig, I had the HDSP 9632 briefly installed in an XP system and also a Win 7 based rig with another motherboard, and I believe there were no such issues. I say "believe" because I only had those two setups for a very short time and didn't really get to experiment. However, the artefacting is so frequent that I'm certain I would have noticed.

E: Multiple edits along the way...

2 (edited by anttipi 2010-02-18 12:29:24)

Re: HDSP 9632 clicks/pops in Win 7 64-bit

I would like to know from RME support whether you have ever encountered this kind of problem. When even Youtube etc. basic playback is glitchy, there must be something fundamentally wrong?

1) The card is broken (unlikely?)
2) There is a compatibility issue with the Gigabyte mobo and the RME card (can that even be possible?)
3) A RME driver/Win 7 etc. related issue?
4) Something else (e.g. some special setting I haven't figured out?)

Which driver version have you installed exactly? Same problems with ASIO playback?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The driver version is 3.082.

ASIO ("ASIO Hammerfall DSP") in BFD2 causes glitching, drop-outs, crackling - no matter what the latency setting in the DSP panel or in BFD2.

Check for DPC's in Win 7.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7546

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, just tried it. It reports "Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams" etc.

The test is fluctuating between ~37 min. and ~30000 max. When the test is running, the graph keeps repeating a pattern of two green bars intercepted with one red bar (min & max).

So you need to find out which device driver is causing the spike, follow instructions in the second link.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

8 (edited by anttipi 2010-02-18 17:39:47)

Problem SOLVED! :-)   

Turned out it was not a driver issue but an application (Gigabyte EasyTuner) which I used to regulate my CPU fan. I found it out quite accidentally using the latency tool: I ran the tool immediately upon startup and the bars were green until EasyTuner was executed in the background. 

I am SO relieved right now, because a couple of weeks ago I had to RMA my previous motherboard because of display driver compatibility issues and all sorts of problems just seemed to come up one after the other.