1 (edited by Jp008 2015-04-13 20:23:33)

Topic: RME DIGI96/8 PAD adapter

Hi again, been awhile since I've visited these forums, but looks like another question has arisen regarding a few RME products I own..

First of all, I've been using an RME ADI-8 Pro/DIGI9636 combo for years and I'm pretty happy with it. I also recently acquired a DIGI96/8 PAD and have questions about both of the adapter cabling made for each card. The DIGI9636 uses an RCA type S/PDIF digital type adapter, but I've just realized the "XLR" AES/EBU adapter for the DIGI96/8 PAD is digital too and not traditional analog, which apparently requires a 110 ohm digital type XLR cable, rather than a typical XLR mic cable? This one had me a bit confused because I have no experience with XLR digital (?) so I actually thought it was a standard XLR microphone cable adapter !

With all that said, I guess my questions would then be.. 1. What would an XLR 'digital' adapter be typically used for or what type of devices would you normally use that type of adapter? Also, would something like a digital microphone work or does this mean you couldn't use a traditional microphone with it? I'm guessing a digital mic would probably sound like garbage, regardless.. 2. What RME audio card would be best for sending a microphone signal directly into it? Or could this be effectively done with my ADI-8 Pro/DIGI9636 setup? I ask this because the ADI-8 uses 1/4" dual mono inputs. I'm looking for more direct mic option.