1 (edited by flo_bielmann 2009-07-26 16:19:14)

Topic: HDSP9632+HDSP9652+4x Behringer ada8000: word clock sync?

Hi
I hope nobody will bash me for my (cheap) choice of converters. I have the two cards synced with the internal connection, and additionally to the behringers also a TC D-two via spdif (9632). The B's are synced 'just' through the adat connection (one of the RME's is the master). Actually, all works very well & stable.

However, reading that clocking can have an impact on the audio quality, especially with several external devices, I wondered if I could improve the setup by syncing the behringers with word clock (since the 9652 has Word Clock out). One issue I see is that the B's do not feature a 'termination' switch.

Since I have a pair of behringers on each end of the studio, I would like to have a 'T-Connector' on the 9652 out, to get two strings out (one to each pair of the behringers, which then would be daisy-chained again with a t-conector).

Does  that make sense? Has anybody experience in syncing more than one of these? Is it worth it or should I just keep trusting the highly stable 'adat-syncing' of the RME's as masters?

Many thanks for any reply.

Regards flo

Re: HDSP9632+HDSP9652+4x Behringer ada8000: word clock sync?

don't use T with wordclock. It's better to use an clock distributor.
I don't see trouble with adat syncing, if the rme is the master !

I am pretty sure that clocking the Behringers to ADAT give less jitter = better sound than syncing them from word. The used chips are specialized for ADAT clocking and work very good with that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for the quick answers. I shall leave it as it is now, since it was always highly stable and I just worried by reading about it. All the best
flo

In a scenario where I want to use the clock of a RayDAT as master
and UFX and Focusrite OctoPre as slave (where the UFX will be more in use) ..

Would it be best then to use WC between RayDAT and UFX only and to clock via ADAT only towards the OctoPre Mk II ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13