Topic: TotalMix FX- Why MY Default Software Playback is PH 3/4 (Babyface PRO)

Hi,

I've just received my Babyface Pro and I have a question. In the Totalmix Fx videos and pictures people's default Software Playback channel is AN 1/2 but when I installed the drivers my Babyface started to work with the default PH 3/4 channels in the Software playback section. Is there a way to change the software playback to AN 1/2 and does this effect the quality or anything because of AN 1/2 and PH 3/4 have different aspects? My Main Out assigned to AN 1/2 and Phones1 to PH 3/4

http://i.imgur.com/w0UcxwZ.jpg

2 (edited by whatudid2me 2015-12-15 05:06:44)

Re: TotalMix FX- Why MY Default Software Playback is PH 3/4 (Babyface PRO)

Ok I think I got it, when I use an Asio based program (Cubase etc.) AN 1/2 becomes active and WDM activates the PH 3/4 channels in the Software Playback section, I've never paid attention to that before.

I think Software Playback section is only a display it does not change anything related to sound quality etc., is it right?

What you're seeing is the submix out to Main. You see how your Main is highlighted on the third row (physical output)? Software playback is showing what mixes out of the computer going to the Main out. If you select a different output on the third row, the software playback settings will change. What your picture is saying is that any audio sent from the computer (software playback) going out analogue 1-2 or 3-4 will go out your main output at full volume. If it goes out the other channels, it will not go out the main output. And your main output is set to physical output analogue 1-2. (This has nothing to do with quality though you could adjust the software playback section to rebalance audio sent to analogue 1-2 verses analogue 3-4 in sound level if you wanted on the second row)

Thanks for the explanation rightbrain, really appreciated.

Stupid question what determines a programs playback in the middle row... when you can't set it for example a web browser?  I get that you can set in some programs... but a lot of windows ones you cannot.. what determines where those go by default?

what determines a programs playback in the middle row

The default set in the Windows Sound Control panel. Click on the output you want to use (Out 1/2 is called "Speakers" by Windows), then click "Set Default" at the bottom right of this panel. The default channel will show a green check.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

would i be able to set things to 5.1 and then hook up and route speakers in TM to separate outs on the UFX? This way?
Though i suppose ill have to hit the test button to find out which is which

Yes you would.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME