Topic: Global Record - UFX and UC recording together

I noticed that in two sound card configuration all the channel names seems to be off somehow.
In this configuration UFX was Device 1 and UC was Device 2.

UFX ADAT 1 input 1 appeared in Global Record AN 3, input 2 AN 4 and so on.
UFX ADAT 2 input 1 was AS 1, input 2 AS 2 and so on.

UC ADAT input 1 was MI 11, input 2 MI 12 and so on.

It seems that UC inputs appear in the UFX row and vice versa.
I was using DIGICheck 5.62 and latest drivers for the sound cards.
Recordings went well except one loopback that I forgot on in the Total Mix FX.

Settings and input images attached.
http://files.sonicimage.fi/rme/Global_Record-1.jpg
http://files.sonicimage.fi/rme/Global_Record-2.jpg

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

2 (edited by El Duderino 2015-11-24 22:51:06)

Re: Global Record - UFX and UC recording together

Just wanted to start a new topic but found this which exactly describes my problem I have right now.
A UFX and UCX coupled to record more then 30+ channels. The channel names are off - e.g. UCX IN 2 -> UFX AES IN 2.
Any statemend would be nice regarding this. Is recording safe or is there a danger for bigger trouble?
I have a second UCX as backup. Would it be better to use those together?

Ps. I made a Total Reset on both TotalMixFX windows. Closed those. No other software running. Double checked on other system. Switched the cards in the Input Device Setup. Drivers and DC and Firmwares are up to date.

Wanted to look at this and discovered, that I can't combine RayDAT and UFX as they do not use the same ASIO driver.

Input Device Setup -> ASIO Driver Select: either UFX USB or Hammerfall driver

I could start 2 separate Global Records, each with its own driver.

Then it would be interesting, how it could be made possible to start both at exactly the same time.
Something like a global start / stop button for multiple instances of Global Record could be handy.

Would that be possible on technical level ? If you have no MADI devices it could be maybe a viable "workaround", what do you think ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by El Duderino 2015-11-25 09:07:11)

Not directly on topic but yeah, for sure you could do this. Just give both a clear trigger input (clapperboard) so you can align the wav's later in your DAW. Don't forget to sync the two cards nonetheless to avoid the drift.

Good idea & yeah its all synced.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Here is an updated DIGICheck 5.81 Windows that fixes the channel order in multi-device configuration. Please try it.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dc_581_win.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry but this patch is way too late. The bug showed up almost two years ago. Have to "try" and hope it works as expected the next time I have two cards here.
At that recording gig my faith in your reputation got some big scratches. It was just unusable - nobody has the time to check 28 channels in Digicheck, where the only way of achieving this, is to record a mic check and then hear it afterwards. Too complicated with that much microphone bleed and not enough time for this. At that moment the missing sync between Digicheck and Totalmix really shines. Although channels were named in TM it didn't helped any further to understand whats going on in DC. In combination with a disappearing TM window (out of nowhere - crashing I guess) I was very glad I made an additional Direct Record.
Luckily we only needed 28 channels - so the UFX alone did the job. But even two of the same cards (UCX) didn't worked as expected.

El Duderino wrote:

Sorry but this patch is way too late. The bug showed up almost two years ago.

That is ridiculous! You reported this bug as current event on 24/11/2015, and it got fixed on 02/12/2015, just 9 days later!

The only one who could complain would be Jayzteroid. But if this bug would have been really important to him he would have repeated it. As he did not, and no one else bumped it up, it simply got overlooked and lost in the forum. Is that so hard to understand?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by El Duderino 2015-12-15 23:49:15)

The bug was reported on 20/01/2014.
Nothing ridiculous about it. You overlooked it - that's ok. Shit happens.
The bug only appears under special circumstances and the last time (2010) I used DC with two cards (2xUC) it worked like a charm.
I am sorry that I am/was a little bit pissed but as I wrote - having this setup running and than stumbling over a bug which is already reported long time ago in combination with a suddenly disappearing/crashing TM isn't the best mood in front of an important concert recording.

This issue wasn't a big deal in my case, I wrote about it as an observation.
It was easy to trace which track was which in DAW.

I think its great that its possible to more inputs to Global Record by adding more soundcards that use same driver.
This gives me a lot of scenarios to make use of RME soundcards that I have.

Many thanks to Matthias and RME for this option.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

Link to 5.81 is dead here, and on the updated main website.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Fixed!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Babaluma 2016-02-19 17:40:19)

Not fixed. This link:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dc_581_win.zip

leads to a site that says:

Multiple Choices

The document name you requested (/download/dc_581_win.zip) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested.
Available documents:

/download/dc_551_win.zip (mistyped character)
/download/dc_561_win.zip (mistyped character)
/download/dc_571_win.zip (mistyped character)
/download/dc_580_win.zip (mistyped character)
Please consider informing the owner of the referring page about the broken link.

And your link above leads to a 404 error...

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Link works. Must be a cache problem...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME