Topic: Question about Microphone Gain on Babyface Pro

In the past, I've used two different audio interfaces and a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro mic pre-amp and on all of them when i try to find the right level for the microphone ive noticed that i have to turn up the gain to almost 100% to get a decent signal. 

What i mean is that i will turn the knob up and there isn't any noticeable increase in the microphone volume until i reach 90% of the way round on the knob and at this point it becomes very sensitive and i have to gently nudge the knob to get it to a decent level without going to far round which introduces extra background noise

I have both a Shure Beta 58 and also a Rode NTK microphone and its the same with both.

I'm just wondering is this the same with an audio interface like the RME Babyface Pro which i'm considering purchasing next for my home studio.

Re: Question about Microphone Gain on Babyface Pro

The Babyface controls the gain digitally, means it does not jump but performs small fixed steps over the whole range. The behaviour that you noticed is quite common when using 'normal' pots to control the gain, and the microphone produces very low output. That said with the BF Pro adjusting will be fine, but noise may be there too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME