Topic: How to get 8 channels of 24/96 w/ Nuendo 8 I/0 / ADI-8 Pro?

I basically just need any RME PCIe card with 2 ADAT ins that can do smux, right?  So basically the Hamerfall HDSP 9652 or HDSPe RayDat?  Or are there other options?  THANKS!!

Clayton

2 (edited by Randyman... 2016-05-04 22:23:44)

Re: How to get 8 channels of 24/96 w/ Nuendo 8 I/0 / ADI-8 Pro?

Unless you specifically have the Nuendo 8 I/O 96K version or an ADI-8 DS, you will be stuck at 44/48K.  The original Nuendo 8 I/O and the ADI-8 Pro do not have 96K capabilities.  Those original models DO have dual ADAT ports (Main & Aux) - but used for 16-bit "bit splitting" to record 44/48K 24-bit audio onto two 16-Bit ADAT tracks...

If you do have one of those 96K capable converters, then yes - need two ADAT ports for input and 2 ADAT ports for output (both SMUX).  Digiface would also work (showing its age and is discontinued along with the required HDSP PCIe card IIRC).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks Randyman.  Mine is indeed a DS/96k.  Between the RayDAT and the HDSPe 9652 seems the latter would work fine and be cheaper, though I have a new RayDAT in a box from Sweetwater, thinking I might just go with that.  Is that a complete waste?  Thanks!

The RayDAT is a fine card (almost bought one before I went the MADI route!).

It lacks TotalMix-FX of the newer interfaces (obviously, so does the older PCI HDSP9652), but the RayDAT has the luxury of dedicated+simultaneous Coax SPDIF and XLR AES digital connections - plus I believe one of the ADAT inputs can also be used for an additional SPDIF Optical input.  Lots of flexibility beyond just the 4-pairs of ADAT connections smile

The RayDAT being PCIe is fairly future-proof for the next few generations of PC hardware (likely another decade or so).  The PCI HDSP9652 is basically at end-of-life with modern PC hardware.  If you already have the RayDAT - I'd say go for it!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

5 (edited by ramses 2016-05-05 08:07:15)

@Randyman: +1

@cdpixton:
> though I have a new RayDAT in a box from Sweetwater, thinking I might just go with that. 

The RayDAT is a very nice product, which I also have. I use an UFX as preamp in Front of the RayDAT.
This setup has been chosen
- to allow for very low latency
- to have a backup, shall the UFX be out of the house or needs maintenance
- optimize CPU consumption (audio transfers via PCIe are less CPU intensive compared to USB)
If you are interested in details, description here, there you can also find i.e. details like what changes in terms of latency (reported from cubase) compared to UFX via USB and Fw): http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … E-RayDAT/. Its written in German but the technical stuff should be self explaining.

> Is that a complete waste?

No, its a rock solid product and a proper solution if you intend to use external preamps, A/D and D/A converter.

Nevertheless there are a few aspects you should be aware of:

1. Its a solution which is not designed for mobility or stand-alone operation. As you usually screw it in into a PC.
And these devices are somtimes not mobile enough ... because of weight and what not ...

2. in regards of the length of a TOSLINK cable I wouldnt go over 15m. Thats already a lot and needs testing.
Its possible but already beyond standard I think.

3. The more you connect the more TOSLINK cables you have around.
Dont take to stiff cables with a lot of shield, up to 8 cables can become very thick.
Dont get one with too broad connectors, otherwise you might have trouble to connect to the RAYDat as the ports are quite close to each other.

4. ADAT: If you intend to record with higher sample frequencies, then the remaining amount of channels becomes lesser and lesser.
@44.1/48 you can i.e. connect i.e. 4 Preamps with 8 channels (32) and same amount out, if they have the ports
@88.1/96 only 2 Preamps are possible (total of 16 channels in and out)
With MADI you have 64 channnels and there are devices which allow for expanding such a soluition if required.

5. It has no analogue output for monitors or headphones. So whatever you connect via ADAT needs to have output channels for Monitor(s) and Phone(s) which can be used via ADAT.

6. Compared to other recording Interfaces of RME you have no possibility to connect a remote control to the RayDAT. So you might require a separate Monitor controller now or in the future. This is no real show stopper. But keep in mind that professional product like SPL 2Control have also their price. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2Control.
The ARC http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARCRemote is much cheaper and integrates nicely into RME recording interfaces. The upcoming ARC USB will even be nicer (only for UFX+).
Using the ARC now for a while I have to say its really nice to have the possibility to quickly DIM, mute and change volume very easy, when its near to your hands .. Or i.e. to change between monitor A and B.

Other solutions .... ?!

As Randyman says .. MADI .. but to make full use of this investment you really need to have plans to grow.
Otherwise I wouldnt go for that.

The new UFX+ with the ARC USB is a very nice upcoming product.
If offers nearly everything including MIDI, ADAT, AES, MADI ... and even flexibility / mobility (USB3 and thunderbolt)

But it has its price...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I see why they call you DAW Mastermind!  Thanks for that great info.  Yea, the new UFX+ does seem awesome.  I presume in time RME would develop a driver that would be compatible with thunderbolt on a PC/Windows machine. 

I haven't fully grasped the MADI thing, looks more future proof than ADAT having more throughput per wire, etc, but I see I'd have to invest substantially to get into that.

Thanks again.

As far as your number 6 above (remote control), I've been just using a mixer, would have to think through what advantages of remote control are...