Topic: Feature Request for Totalmix: MIDI-learn

Hi there,

I'd like to see MIDI-learn capablility in Totalmix.
That means the free assignment of certain MIDI controllers to any of the faders and buttons in the GUI.
Why? Currently MIDI control seems to be assigned to static adresses.
(first row channel 1-4, second row channel 5-8, third row channel 9-12; in every channel controller 102 to 117)
If i have a KORG nanoKontrol and I want to have the first fader in every row of TotalMix on Fader 1,2,3 of my controller this is currently impossible, because I can only choose one MIDI channel per scene on my controller.

m.

Re: Feature Request for Totalmix: MIDI-learn

Use the Behringer BCF and you don't have that problem. Plus you get motor faders, means feedback about the current fader position.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Behringer is too big and doesn not fit my needs. I still would like to see this feature. You already got my 1100,- Euros, so please also consider to take my 2 cent.

m.

There are lots of compatible MIDI controllers, also in smaller form factors. Please choose one of them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Turns out that the second generation nanoKontrol supports mackie control, but not my older one.

Just want to give the op a +1: MIDI learn capability would really ad a lot of flexibility... Started TM with the UFX for the first time just two days ago and am already missing the possibility.

Hello
Infortunatelly, RME via MC does'nt take care of MIDI users suggestions.  I resell my FFUCX because in my studio, MIDI total control is essential.
Regards

8 (edited by Gregmac 2013-11-28 12:53:06)

mxa wrote:

Hi there,

I'd like to see MIDI-learn capablility in Totalmix.
That means the free assignment of certain MIDI controllers to any of the faders and buttons in the GUI.
Why? Currently MIDI control seems to be assigned to static adresses.
(first row channel 1-4, second row channel 5-8, third row channel 9-12; in every channel controller 102 to 117)
If i have a KORG nanoKontrol and I want to have the first fader in every row of TotalMix on Fader 1,2,3 of my controller this is currently impossible, because I can only choose one MIDI channel per scene on my controller.

m.

It actually posible to have up to 16 different midi channels per scene in the nano Kontrol 1. If you select the uppermost parameter for each fader in the Kontrol programming software it represent the midi channel for that controller which can be set to the default for the scene or to any of the other 16.

cheers  Greg

+1 for midi learn

cheers  Greg

+1
I would like to use midi control but the manual is written so badly in that regard that I do not understand anything on these pages

11 (edited by Manuel 2016-06-05 19:35:17)

Well, I would definitely use this feature. MC, your response kind of implies you are not willing to consider this feature. Are there any technical reasons why?

I can give you a few reasons why users would love this feature:

1) They already have a MIDI controller that doesn't implement MCU and would rather not have more hardware on their already cluttered desk.
2) They are on a tight budget, or they simply don't want to spend more money when their existing controller could do the trick if TotalMix had MIDI learn.
3) Many users only need to control one fader (master volume) so the BCF2000 would be over-featured and oversized.
4) They want to reduce the amount of stuff they own because they enjoy a minimalistic workflow.
5) An extra piece of hardware = more manufacturing pollution in China (where I live).

In my opinion if a software solution is possible it should always be the preferred approach, for all the above reasons.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

+ 1 :-)

13 (edited by SavingPrincess 2016-06-22 15:24:16)

+1 for MIDI Learn for TotalMix FX

http://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2016/05 … igner-rme/

Carstens shared some perspective on his design philosophy,
"As both a user and a customer, I am acutely aware of and annoyed by devices that miss those features I deem crucial."
"RME developers have the unique freedom to develop what they want."
"We have some exciting new additions coming that will be disclosed over the year: new products, new features in TotalMix FX, and more. If one buys RME, that customer buys into a long term relationship with the company. We are proud of our reputation, our legacy, and have every intention of providing both present and future customers with the best products and support available."
- Matthias Carstens

smile

+1

+1 for MIDI Learn for TotalMix FX

+1 MIDI Learn

This would be the cherry on the cake for this amazing digital mixer.

17 (edited by Manuel 2019-05-12 16:57:28)

The problem with a hard-coded midi implementation is that, in the case of TotalMix, it cannot cover all the software parameters because there are just too many to fit in the available CC numbers. In practice, very few people would ever need to map every parameter in TotalMix, but at the same time there is no way a fixed hard-coded implementation can meet everyone's needs (that's precisely why this thread exists).

Other advantages of MIDI learn vs fixed MIDI implementation:

1. The burden of designing the MIDI implementation is passed on to users—less work for RME engineers
2. Users can customise the mapping to meet their needs exactly
3. With MIDI learn users don't even have to consult the user manual (better user experience).

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400