1 (edited by ramses 2016-09-17 10:28:22)

Topic: ADI-8 QS / QSM, 8 or 16 analog i/o

The webpage tells that this device has 8 analog i/o.

For what purpose are the two Tascam DB25 connectors ? I think for connecting a patch bay to bring the analog ports
to the front of a rack, but they can not be regarded as 8 additional analog i/o ports, right ?

From the block diagram in the handbook TRS and DB25 go both parallel to the AD/DA converters.
How is exactly the handling ...

Is it safe to connect devices to TRS and DB25 at the same time ?

Is it selectable somewhere in a settings dialog to use either TRS or DB25 for analog inputs / outputs ? On a per port base ?

Thanks for clarification. A user of another forum wants to buy the device and is under the impression getting a device with 16 analog i/o, because he noticed the additional DB25 connectors in the back. I am asking here to prevent this user to get eventually a bad surprise based on wrong expectations, not understanding the products capabilities well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: ADI-8 QS / QSM, 8 or 16 analog i/o

That is clearly described in the manual. Outputs have individual driver stages, can therefore be used simultaneously (1 to 2 distribution). Inputs are one or the other.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias. One point is still unclear to me.

If I would connect i.e. 2 DAT Recorder (stereo). Each to analog 1+2 IN of TRS and DB25.
If I would take care to use only one or the other device for playback.
Would that be possible ?
Or would that have disadvantages (hum, destroy something, etc) ?

What would happen if I would erraneously hit play on both devices. Could it happen that the Input becomes overloaded in a way that it would damage circuits ? Or would the internal limiter take care that a certain level would not be exceeded ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It is not possible as you effectively connect both outputs via a direct wire.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks !