Topic: Noise when using DSP reverb on RME UFX

I've been having this bizarre problem since I upgraded to the new driver/firmware.

Whenever I turn up the Reverb/Delay send for a channel the RME UFX introduces noise to the heaphones/outputs.

I have isolated the issue and it's coming from the Reverb Module.
When I turn off the reverb module (even if I have the Echo module still off) the noise disappears.

Is this normal or do I have a faulty unit?

Driver version : 1.091
Hardware Revision 357

Windows 10 Professional.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Noise when using DSP reverb on RME UFX

Hardware revision 357 can be DSP version 158 or 161, please check yours.

Can you describe the noise in more detail? Your description can be read in two ways: The reverb sound itself is distorted. Or noise is going into the reverb and gets 'reverbed', but is coming from an open send unintentionally.

Please also try a Total Reset of TM FX, and - as last resort - you might try to reset the UFX itself: press and hold upper button Mic/Gain and Encoder 1 while switching on the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Hardware revision 357 can be DSP version 158 or 161, please check yours.

Can you describe the noise in more detail? Your description can be read in two ways: The reverb sound itself is distorted. Or noise is going into the reverb and gets 'reverbed', but is coming from an open send unintentionally.

Please also try a Total Reset of TM FX, and - as last resort - you might try to reset the UFX itself: press and hold upper button Mic/Gain and Encoder 1 while switching on the unit.

Hi Matthias,

DSP version is 161.

The noise does not have to do with the reverb tail at all.
Imagine it like this:
When I turn up the reverb send on an input it sounds as if I raised the gain of one preamp all the way up. So I get an increased noise floor. When I switch off the reverb module this noise (imagine again, like noise from a preamp that is turned all the way up) the noise goes away completely.

Just to make sure, I tried this on another RME UFX and has the exact same issue.

Not sure if this is by design but it is really annoying as I have to remember to turn off the reverb everytime I stop recording.

Any ideas? Are you aware of this?

We are not aware of such an issue. Which TM FX version is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We are not aware of such an issue. Which TM FX version is that?

Hi Matthias,

At least on one of the UFX's the total mix version is 1.22. I can check on the other one as well.

Checked the second UFX as well,

Same TM version 1.22

7 (edited by fripholm 2016-09-23 19:10:15)

Nice find! I never noticed this before but mine does the same. Driver 1.093, TM 1.31, DSP 161.

Turn the Reverb send all the way up on a mic pre channel and Reverb return fully up on an output you'll be getting a low level but audible hiss - of course, because the inevitable input noise is sent to the Reverb. Interestingly, its volume does not depend on the mic pre's gain setting for Mic 9 but it does for 10 through 12 - at least on my unit.

Doing the same on an analog line input the hiss is still there but sounds as if it's gated/chopped off randomly. The noise is also recordable when turning on the loopback function for the output.

Is this what you're getting, Dom?

Hello i'm building an external ADAT-AUDIO interface and i noted the same noise witch I can hear only if no audio-signal is on a input (quit environment). 

Of course I was searching the error first for a few days with me. However, when I debug the ADAT signal at the scope I could sometimes see values >> 0 on the incoming data stream.

It sounds like a old vinyl disk and you can see that also if you feed back the external DA-Converter output to a free rme Input and turn on the right DIGICheck .
I'm using also a rme a newer UFX  (SW-Version 1.22 MAC OS X (1)) on a mac  OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5 2.8GHz Intel Core i5

if I disable the effect section (Reverb and Echo) then its quit !
This noise you can also measure or see on a transmitted ADAT Channel with a enabled FX-Gain)

If it helps a can send also some picture ...

AGT

fripholm wrote:

Nice find! I never noticed this before but mine does the same. Driver 1.093, TM 1.31, DSP 161.

Turn the Reverb send all the way up on a mic pre channel and Reverb return fully up on an output you'll be getting a low level but audible hiss - of course, because the inevitable input noise is sent to the Reverb. Interestingly, its volume does not depend on the mic pre's gain setting for Mic 9 but it does for 10 through 12 - at least on my unit.

Doing the same on an analog line input the hiss is still there but sounds as if it's gated/chopped off randomly. The noise is also recordable when turning on the loopback function for the output.

fripholm wrote:

Hi Fripholm,

Yes that's exactly what I'm getting. Thanks for confirming!
Not related to mix gain indeed. It must have started with the introduction of the new algorithms as I've never noticed that before.

Thanks for the details. We now could reproduce this effect on the UFX, only that one seems to show it. We will try to fix it shortly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thanks for the details. We now could reproduce this effect on the UFX, only that one seems to show it. We will try to fix it shortly.

Thanks Matthias smile

Finally here is the new DSP version 162 which should solve the issue reported in this thread. We found the reason, an unexpected difference when rendering the reverb between all the other units and the UFX, means only the UFX was affected.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 62_win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 62_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Finally here is the new DSP version 162 which should solve the issue reported in this thread. We found the reason, an unexpected difference when rendering the reverb between all the other units and the UFX, means only the UFX was affected.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 62_win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 62_mac.zip

Thanks Mattias!

15 (edited by Selva 2023-03-27 22:14:34)

MC wrote:

all of these descriptions are very similar to what i hear now on my ucx 2. i created a separate thread  "ucx 2 reverb issue" for this question.