Topic: Distortion on every single sound on PC HDSPe

Hello

I have a HDSPe that I have now installed on 2 totally different Windows machines with the latest drivers

My problem is that every single sound, Windows, Youtube, DAW has distortion over it, a kind of resonance distortion that is very noticeable

Any ideas what this could be? Is my unit broken? I had no issues with my last Focusrite on the same setups

Thanks

Re: Distortion on every single sound on PC HDSPe

What HDSPe is that? Is the distortion on both analog and digital output? Is the TotalMix (FX) set correctly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by kanter 2016-09-28 18:22:01)

Only the Analog

I got the balanced XLR

I don't think I have any equipment to test the digital

Totalmix is left as default on both machines, I did reduce the output but it did not help

So you have the HDSPe AIO? And XLR output distorts? What about the headphone output?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by kanter 2016-09-29 17:02:29)

I think I may have isolated the issue.

Either cabling or palmer monicon (which is passive so strange!) - testing to follow

6 (edited by kanter 2016-09-29 17:22:37)

OK it seems to be Windows volume, when going through the speakers affects the distortion

I can turn down the Windows volume and the distortion gets less, and just turn up the speakers

...but then I get that annoying sounds like every time my mouse moves it makes a scratchy sound

Headphones didn't seem to have the issue of distortion but they do have the faint sounds off the mouse

And yes its a HDSPe AIO with breakout XLR

What is connected to those xlrs outs? Amp? Powered Speakers? The analogue output can be switched from lo to mid to high gain. If the distortion is from further down the chain try the -10dbv setting. Could be a simple gain mismatch. For example the high gain output setting is much to hot for a consumer level input.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

8 (edited by kanter 2016-09-30 08:56:19)

Thank you for that advice, the -10 dbV definitely helped with the distortion reduced it quite a lot - I use Yamaha HS8s by the way

Still hasn't stopped the weird computer noise, mouse moving etc

Very annoying sounds when scrolling in web pages

My GPU under load causes the audio to literally scream out, like when benchmarking

If you only connect headphones and nothing else to the card do you hear the noise to?

Vincent, Amsterdam

10 (edited by kanter 2016-09-30 11:06:01)

Unfotunately yes

Although I would say with everything else disconnected its so quiet its almost inaudible (through headphones - KRK KNS 8400)

If you search te forum here you will find things to try in your case. The noise is ground noise from the computers power supplie and needs to be isolated from the aio

Vincent, Amsterdam

12 (edited by kanter 2016-09-30 21:33:30)

So I tried diffrerent PCIe slots - no change, so I tried a diff PSU - no change, so I tried a diff outlet - no change, so I tried the electrical tape thing - no change

Looks like I got a bad unit

Its actually screaming on a graphics benchmark

Wow that is bad. Did you try to disable all power saving options of the cpu in the bios like speedstep and all c states and maybe turbo boost? This has been known to cure it 100% in some cases. If it helps you can enable them one by one to see if only one is causing it.
And of course could be a bad gfx card too although not to likely.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Just disabled all power saving states, C states, EIST, etc etc, no change

Looks like I have a big problem

Time to exchange it