Topic: ADI8 AD died

Hi there,

A few years ago I bought a used RME ADI-8 DS. Unfortunately, the AD section died recently. (sound example this is on all 8 channels after AD).

More specifically: I tried connecting DA and DA directly without any unit inbetween. I also checked the cables. Running two channels AD or DA through a ADI2 showed, that the DA part of the ADI8 works just fine, while the AD part keeps producing that noise. This happens even if no analog source is connected.

Are there some tests I can run on my own? Unfortunately I did not get any bill for the ADI8. Is it possible to estimate what the costs are for repairing the device? Will RME repair it at all if I don't have any bill? Is repairing AD worth the money or should I start searching for another AD right away?

Best regards and thank you for your time!

2 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-07-04 14:12:40)

Re: ADI8 AD died

TIP: the internal power supply occasionally gives out with some RME models quite often; it's a gamble but they can be ordered for about 90 euro's ... think the part is called RME4, but i'm not sure if it's also for an AD8 AD, never heard of that model LoL. I had the same with an UFX, but it was completely dead all of a sudden. Fixed recently under warranty:
http://www.rme-shop.com/acatalog/nt-rme4-sfbklein.png
But if some other functions still work that might not be the problem. PS You could check and clean the hardware front panel buttons with 96% cleaning alcohol if the unit has been exposed to dust, moist or worse: smoke. F