1 (edited by Neil Parfitt 2017-03-20 23:11:53)

Topic: UFX+ input channel assignment

Currently we have multiple composing systems based on below,  heavily invested into RME gear:

Primary (Logic X):
Mac Pro with RME MADIFACE XT (using ext PCIe) with MADI out to ProTools HDX MADI systems as well as ADI648 to tie into Rosetta 800's.

Secondary sampler computer:
Mac Pro with RME HDSPe MADI wired to the Primary system's MADI in (1-64).

We're looking at the most scaled down connectivity for a remote LA writing system (no protools involved) and the UFX+ would be perfect as it would eliminate a ton of additional gear (including additional ADC/DAC's,  Pre-amps, MADI to ADAT) as it has these features with enough analog outputs to work in 5.1.

The only problem is,  assuming the following information is correct:

"1-12 are analog in, 13/14 is AES/EBU, 15-30 are ADAT in, 31-94 are MADI in"

.... is that unlike the MADIFACE XT,  the analog inputs shuffle over the MADI inputs.  This is a huge problem with DAW's such as Logic,   as you can't remap the order of the hardware inputs. 

All our writing composing templates are pre-defined and pre-routed/EQ'd/Verbed so the 32 stereo audio pairs from the Secondary computers via MADI all show based on the MADI being ch1-64.

This is a total drag,  as the XT behaves the opposite way:   the 3 MADI streams are 1-64,65-128,129-192 and the the AES and Analog are at the end.  So,   nothing get's 'thrown out of whack' when moving a session between a system with an HDSP MADI,  or an XT or a MADIFACE USB etc..  they just seamlessly open.

I really hope RME would consider a firmware update offering a preference for the input placement order,  because as of now.. I have to investigate alternate third party options to make it work...  when the UFX+ would have been the most elegant solution all contained in its 1U footprint.  That,  or a hardware to software input re-mapping matrix within the TotalMix software.

2 (edited by Neil Parfitt 2017-03-21 06:29:54)

Re: UFX+ input channel assignment

Alternately,  could TotalMix Loopback work to move the MADI 31-94 to software input 1 to 64 in someway?  I anticipate this not working since an overlap occurs starting at ch31 and beyond though.  See how this is an overall issue between the UFX+ and other RME MADI products and moving between them with sessions? sad