Topic: MadiFace XT Audio dropout

Hi,

Using a mac Pro6.1 latest Sierra OS X and Madiface USB drivers i get the audio dropping out every few sec for a sec or two

i tried different connectors, on the mac, different cables to no go

Any idea ?

Re: MadiFace XT Audio dropout

Did you try both drivers available on our website? 2.x and 3.x?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am experiencing this too. I've updated the MADIface XT firmware to v171 and tried both drivers available (2.2 and 3.01). As well as dropouts I'm hearing strange digital shashing occasionally too.

I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra 10.12.4, 3.1GHZ Intel Core i5

We found two issues so far. One is fixed, the other one is still worked on. I might have more news tomorrow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Unfortunately I have bad news: both MADIface XT and UFX+ suffer from playback dropouts when using them with USB3 and Apple's current hardware line, which also requires Sierra. For the UFX+ an easy workaround is to use Thunderbolt. For the MF XT one could use either USB2, or try to get the (no longer manufactured) TB to PCIe adapter from Matrox.

The playback dropout with USB3 has been confirmed by Apple. We now have to wait for a fix from Apple as there is no way we could fix this in our firmware or driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Unfortunately For the MF XT one could use either USB2, or try to get the (no longer manufactured) TB to PCIe adapter from Matrox..

One hopes that pcie external cards & cables do not dissappear from the likes of Matrox & Sonnet (I fear perhaps they are).  The XT is a great device with lots of life left in it, and pcie external has clear advantages over USB3.  Perhaps RME could produce their own pcie external cards (for pcie and express-card) ?

S.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

So is this still unresolved? I just bought the madi face xt and the new 2017 iMac and this is a nightmare. I’m loosing a ton of money because I can’t get through 2 min without a dropout!

How do you run it in usb 2.0? There are no 2.0 inputs on the iMac and you can’t plug a 2.0 cable into the madiface.

You can select the Interface Mode on the unit to be USB 2.0. Or get the latest beta 5 of High Sierra, it seems fixed in there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias:

Can you confirm if this fix has remained in the official High Sierra release (currently 10.13.1 (17B48)), and that the XT should work without issue on current Mac hardware running this release?

Thanks.

Yes, I can confirm that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias

I'm using a Madiface XT in combination with a Akition Thunder dock. Unfortunately this dock uses a Texas Instruments chip, which is not supported by the Madiface TX - it's running in usb2 mode. Since I'm currently only using the first 64 channels this wouldn't be a problem.

But: Is usb2 mode in combination with this chipset prone to dropouts (which I'm seeing more often than with my older Fireface400)? Would the XT run in usb3 mode with the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, which uses the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Robert

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

I cannot speak on that TI chip, but I use the OWC TB3 dock myself. Perfectly suited for audio.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

thanks, I'll go for OWC then. Do you have any experience with their Thunderbolt 2 dock? I couldn't find out which usb3 chip is used there...

Robert

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

Sorry, no.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'll ask their support. Thanks anyway.