Topic: UFX front USB issue

Hello,

My Fireface UFX is already a few years old and I never got the Durec function (front USB) working.
It was repaired by SFB in the Netherlands back then, but only got it working one time and never again.

I always use a Fireface UC for live recordings, but now I really want to use the UFX with Durec function for a few important recordings on location. The Durec function does not work at all, and keeps saying "no media detected".
I did some testing, and I found out that it does not provide the 5 volts on its connectors. So there must be something wrong inside.
The repair shop says it is too long ago and is not covered by warranty, which is not strange but still pretty bad.

Does anyone have the same issue, or perhaps someone from RME could answer?

Re: UFX front USB issue

If you're stuck, you could use DIGICheck for recording.  It doesn't use much CPU and the recording quality is as good as DURec - maybe better.

3 (edited by ramses 2017-03-23 06:13:26)

Nice workaround, but I think his intention of using Durec is to have a "backup" recording isolated from PC, should there be issues with either the DAW or USB/FW.

Question: if he would use DIGIcheck and DAW for recording, would this use double BW for recording over USB/FW ?

Could it be the case that we should recommend him, to use EITHER Digicheck OR DAW for recording not to put too much stress onto USB / FW ?

Maybe this is even dependend on the transport being used, USB or Firewire. Remember, the UFX firewire driver has options to transport only i.e. analog channels, mixture or ALL channels ... I think in Firewire always all channels are being transported unlike USB, therefore the selection menu in the driver settings dialog.

Maybe its possible to record with both, but depending on USB or Fw .. and eventually FW and driver settings options, how many channels to transport over the wire.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I agree, DURec is my first choice also.  Some time ago I made a test recording 8 channels (48k, 96 samples) simultaneously in DURec, DIGICheck, and a DAW (Reaper) with USB 2.  It was difficult to measure any perceivable extra load on the CPU which stayed under 20% (on my 6 year old ThinkPad laptop).  I don't know if it would be the same with Firewire.

Overall DIGICheck seems very solid with a light footprint.

You could also use a hardware recorder as a backup.  They can be quite cheap to hire.  Last year I recorded an event using DURec, DIGICheck, and a Tascam recorder!  They all worked perfectly.

The cost for getting separate hw recorder I would better put into repair of the UFX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the replies. Like Ramses says, I would like to use the DuRec function on the UFX itself because the computer, DAW and FW/USB connection could fail anytime and it would be great to have the DuRec as a backup. If Pro Tools crashes or something, I would still have the recordings on my thumb drive.

A proper hardware recorder would be too expensive if you want to record multiple channels.
So, I wanted to know if someone had the same issue with their UFX too, and what would be the solution.
A few years ago I had an email conversation with the RME service and they told me that the front USB connector should be replaced. It was still in its warranty period, but they stopped responding when I asked for a warranty repair.  After some time I thought about fixing it by myself because it was just out of its warranty period so I ordered the connectors (also the combo jacks as they were broken too) but when I opened the UFX I nodiced everything was lead-free soldered so I decided not to do it by myself. Brought the UFX to the Dutch RME service(SFB Hilversum) and they repaired it but it failed shortly after. Should have went back, but I could not miss the UFX in the studio for another two weeks. €160 down the drain.

Maybe it is better to contact RME again, but I'm afraid they will suggest another costly repair.

Strange, never had any issue with UFX for around  three years and now UFX+ for around half a year.

Where is the record function in Digicheck? I can't find it anywhere (latest Digicheck, OSX)

Function->Global Record
F3 Input Device Setup

10 (edited by elektrovolt 2017-03-25 12:13:07)

Can't find that anywhere, see my screenshot. Am I doing something wrong here?

https://s9.postimg.org/i9zsqpljj/digicheck_screenshot.png

Could be that this is a function that has not been implemented for Apple.

that's too bad.
I have set a message to the folks at RME to chek out this topic, I hope they could help me out with this.

2 min with google my friend: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=8712

Yes, I saw that later. The last answer was more than five years ago, so they could have changed it. I can't think of a reason they would leave that function out..