Topic: Officially recommended PCIe-Firewire 800 cards for Fireface 800?

Hi,

I recently built a new Windows workstation for audio production.
On the list of the bought components was also a Sonnet Allegro Firewire 800 card for the PCI Slot.
But since the device officially only  supports Firewire 800 webcams and storage devices, my Fireface 800 isn't able to connect to my new machine.
I tried a device of Sonnet, because I thought, that they may supply the best quality regarding the Firewire 800 controller chip (Texas Instruments).

Since this configuration failed I want to know if there is any Firewire 800 solution for PCIe officially recommended by RME?
The Sonnet Allegro is for the PCI slot , but if there's a device for the PCIe Slot known to work with my Fireface 800, I would buy it.

By the way:
As far as I know, I can use a PCIe x1 devices in a PCIe x8 Slot, too?

2 (edited by ramses 2017-04-02 15:58:12)

Re: Officially recommended PCIe-Firewire 800 cards for Fireface 800?

Which TI chipset does your Firewire card have ?
There is at least one faulty TI chipset around, that has been used in many cards: XIO2200A.

This one works very well: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

Yes you can use x1 PCIe cards in a x8 Slot.
But shall this be a slot normally used for 2nd or 3rd Graphics card, then you need to look, whether this has impact on the amount of PCIe lanes of your primary graphic card, as this is dynamically assigned depending on what Slots are being in use.

Next time pls deliver directly more information .. i.e. what card with what chipset, best an URL to that card, same for mainboard, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Is your Fireface running the 2.77 firmware?

Hi,
i bought the the Exsys card mentioned above. Let's see if i succeed with it!
@jchan
Yes, my Fireface 800 is equipped with the latest firmware version, so that shouldn't cause any trouble.
I strongly believe that the TI chip is not of good quality, since the manufacturer states on his website, that it's officially supporting only cameras and storage devices. I didn't read it when I bought it, because I thought that Firewire 800 is an industry standard which works with any given device

Thank you both for your thoughts!

Do you use the EXsys card as firewire 800 or 400 connection?

Just wondering if the 800 speed works with Windows 10. At the moment I use the built in FW400 port on my motherboard, but I consider upgrading my DAW-computer and then need to use an interface card. I actually have an old FW800 card (Lacie) which was once recommended, but there was so much trouble with Windows and FW800 drivers that I just decided to use the built in FW400. But why pay for EXsys if I can just use the old Lacie which has only FW800 ports.

I only used the EXSYS card with FW400.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13