Topic: adi 2 mkii

I'm waiting for ADI-2 version II stand alone 2-channels mastering converters

Same I/O connections and features of ADI-2
plus
RME Top Level AD-DA converters
2x TRS monitor outputs
Thunderbolt (or usb) port (that makes it really stand alone)

Will Rme do it?
I don't know but it would be my device

Ciao

Re: adi 2 mkii

Finally she is here
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-pro.php
Anybody can say when available and the price?
And if analog outputs are 4 at the same time (2 to monitor,2 to outboard)?
Thank you
Bye

I'd like to work in this way (this is possible now by my Ucx and Totalmix but i'd like to use a standalone converter,no need preamps etc)
    Daw to Adi2 pro by usb
    Adi2 Pro to analog outboard by two analog outputs
   From Outboard to Adi 2 Pro inputs
   at the same time hearing by monitor the processed signal
This would be possible if analog outputs were four and independent
But maybe 4 outputs in adi2 pro send the same signal.Routing is not possible.Right?
In this case for my purpose i should use a headphones output to monitor
It makes sense to use a headphones output for hearing by monitor?
Let me know
Thanks

The two independent stereo outputs of the ADI-2 Pro have independent source select switches: Auto, AES, SPDIF, Analog, USB 3/4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mc
Thanks
So i can use Adi2 Pro for analog chain and monitoring (by monitor,not headphones) at the same time?
By using,for example, xlr outputs to analog chain and trs outputs to monitor, can i hear the processed signal in real time?

The TRS output is the phones output 3/4, and there is no problem to use it as line outputs to your monitors instead of a headphone. The TS (!) jacks on the back carry the same signal as the XLRs, which again have the same signal as the Phones 1/2 output on the front.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by loyuit 2016-05-04 11:45:07)

Ok
So the only way for analog chain and real time processed signal monitoring is to use phones output 3/4 to monitor..
I think was better a couple of independent line stereo output and only one headphones output for a stand alone mastering device,at least for mastering or stereo bus purpose.
Anyway i'll wait the manual to know more about technical specifications,routing etc
Thank you MC

8 (edited by Randyman... 2016-05-05 05:43:16)

Just curious - are there any differences in the DAC used for outputs 1/2 vs 3/4?  Obviously the analog output stage must vary (at the very least the line driver stage from balanced XLR 1/2 to unbal stereo TRS 3/4)?

Additional inquiry: I will check myself soon - but how does RTL stack up for this unit as a 44.1k USB2 interface against the BF-Pro or any RME PCIe interface @ 44.1k?  I realize there is no TM - but what about latency?  ASIO drivers available?  Show up as 4 discrete I/O's?

Grazie! cool

PS - Wow - Just had to answer like 7-8 "Are you a Spambot" queries to post this reply!  I often get 1 or 2 of these, but to get 7-8 in a row is a bit much.  Maybe I haven't posted from my home IP address in a while (my work IP and home IP addresses appear to be from different parts of the USA) - so maybe that plays a part in the spambot checker's level of interrogation???  smile  As you were....

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

1. No difference.
2. There are dedicated output stages for all outputs.
3. RTL is the AD and DA numbers (very small) plus the usual Class Compliant numbers. That is not in our hands.
4. The unit is CC only. ASIO drivers for Windows based on CC will be available later.
5. It can be set to be used as 2/2 or 6/8 channel interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by loyuit 2016-05-05 19:25:05)

Mc just a question
Which is the best way to connect my monitors (xlr inputs) to trs 3/4 adi2 pro outputs in your opinion?
And do you know when adi2 will be available

Two questions MC
I see on the rme website,adi 2 pro description, it speaks about "multichannel mode (6 in / 8 out)".
Could you explain what it means?
Then i'd like to know if Digicheck will be available with Adi 2 pro and if routing of channels (if there is a routing possibility) will be only by the device or also by a computer editor (totalmix style).
Thanks

> Which is the best way to connect my monitors (xlr inputs) to trs 3/4 adi2 pro outputs in your opinion?

Simple TRS to 2 XLR adapter cable, as usual.

> And do you know when adi2 will be available

We are currently checking our final production samples. Availability is scheduled for October.

> I see on the rme website,adi 2 pro description, it speaks about "multichannel mode (6 in / 8 out)".
> Could you explain what it means?

There are 6 channels of inputs (stereo analog, SPDIF, AES) and 8 channels of output (2 x stereo analog, AES, SPDIF), which can be used via USB under Windows and Mac, if the unit is set to Multi-channel mode. This limits the sample rate to 192 kHz. For the typical user of this device (USB DAC, headphone amp, high-end AD/DA conversion etc.) the unit has a Stereo mode, which then allows to use up to 768 kHz sample rate via USB.

> Then i'd like to know if Digicheck will be available with Adi 2 pro

Yes. But a few features will be missing, like TMS/channel status analysis and Hardware level meters, as this kind of info is not transmitted via the Class Compliant mode that the ADI-2 Pro uses. Everything else will work.

> and if routing of channels (if there is a routing possibility) will be only by the device

Yes, see above.

> or also by a computer editor (totalmix style).

I said that before - this is not our typical audio interface. It is everything else, and does not include TotalMix FX. But has the additional option to have all I/Os available in Windows and Mac computers.

In a few days I will upload the 80 page (!) manual, it will answer all your questions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very much Matthias

English:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

German:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_d.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Super Mc
I see links just now
Thanks

16 (edited by loyuit 2016-12-17 23:37:50)

Hi
I need to know how does the adi 2 pro work as main audio device connected to a adi 8 mkiii
How many channels by Aes Ebu at 44,96,192?
I don't know if to sell my ucx and get a adi8 or to keep ucx as main audio device and to use adi 2 pro as converter only
Let me know
Bye

1. 2 channels via ADAT (several times mentioned in the manual)

2. 2 channels over AES, no matter which sample rate (see above)

3. UCX plus ADI-8 = up to 8 additional analog I/Os. UCX plus ADI-2 Pro: 2 additional analog I/Os. ADI-2 Pro plus ADI-8 = makes no sense to me.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by loyuit 2016-12-18 08:50:31)

Thank you MC
I thought the Adi2 pro in usb main audio device mode could manage more than two channels by adat or aes,at least 8 at 44, 4 at 96 and 2 at 192 like ucx does.
If only two the only way to have more adda conversions is an audio device like ucx,ufx plus adda converters (adi 2,adi 8 etc)
Thank you
I'm waiting for my Adi2mkii,next week.

The ADI-2 Pro is clearly marketed as 6 in / 8 out interface. 8 Out = 4 x analog + 2 x SPDIF (or 2 x ADAT) + 2 x AES.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by loyuit 2016-12-19 01:19:00)

Thats fine
I will use adi2 pro and Ucx together

21 (edited by loyuit 2016-12-22 23:03:49)

Adi2 pro here
Three questions please (and probably others later)
First if it is possible to use a headphones output and main xlr outputs at the same time: when headphones jack connected main xlr outputs 1/2 to the monitors are disabled. It would be more practical to enable and to disable I/O by adi2 internal OS setup,i guess it is possible.
Second i'd like to try to send music from computer to my Eq-Comp analog outboards and back to computer Daw for Fx/Mastering purpose.
By Ucx it was pretty easy but in the end i opted to sell it. I know that by Adi2 Pro without any other connected outboard DA converter i could (perhaps) keep to use my outboard analog effects only monitoring by headphones. Could you tell me the right mode? Usb multichannel? My idea is to connect the outboard to ts outputs of Adi2 pro rear. Then back to xlr stereo adi 2 pro inputs. Is it possible in real time to hear by 3/4 headphones output (by headphones) the processed signal entering to 1/2 Inputs?i
Third if i need to install any driver on my mac. I see Adi2 is recognised by the daw and by my mac in general anyway.
Let me know please
Bye

Options, Device Mode, Mute v. TRS 1/2, Mute v. TRS 3/4.

As explained in another thread you have no TotalMix, so the routing for an external effects device has to be handled by the DAW software. On the Mac software like Jack might be able to help too.

There is no driver necessary for the Mac. You could easily got this information from the manual, chapter 27.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC

24 (edited by loyuit 2016-12-28 11:05:20)

I hope for a Rme standalone thunderbolt 8 channels Adda converter soon or later.
Bye and thanks again
ps about Adi2 i have to say that the power supply connector is not very stable into its own input

Regarding the I/O of ADI-2 Pro, on the english RME website it states "The 4-channel AD-converter, supporting 786 kHz sample rate and DSD recording,". It's an error right? It's a 2 channel AD-converter... Maybe you're talking about the 4 chips that run in parallel, is that it?

No, it is one chip with four AD-converters inside, and the whole sentence is 100% correct:

The 4-channel AD-converter, supporting 786 kHz sample rate and DSD recording, is used in a dual mono design, with 3 dB improved signal to noise ratio.

Dual mono = stereo = 2 channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there a way to use DigiCheck on Outputs without Loopback?
I don't think that Adi2 pro has a loopback possibility without totalmix

Under Windows yes. Under Mac you need to loopback for example the SPDIF/AES I/O (best in stereo mode). Software loopback via Soundflower or Jack might be possible too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok Thank you MC

Amazing device
But please if possible a basic software to control at least 1/2 and 3/4 output volume
It would be very useful to avoid to wear out the buttons and the knobs

"""The ADI-2 Pro is clearly marketed as 6 in / 8 out interface. 8 Out = 4 x analog + 2 x SPDIF (or 2 x ADAT) + 2 x AES.""""

Does it means that in multi channel mode i could have 4 different outputs by digital connections?
For example if i had a Adi2 mki connected to adi2 pro by adat and a mytek 96 Da connected by Aes can i get a routing of 4 different channels plus two channels by analog outputs at the same time? 6 different channels outputs plus headphones?

Yes, if your audio software can play back on different channels (and more than two). 8 channels playback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

33 (edited by loyuit 2017-01-09 22:25:56)

Good news
Thanks
How can i set multichannel mode?
For now i have no other converters.
But i was looking for ph 3/4 playback on my Daw and i see only output 1/2

Setup -> CC-Mode: Multichannel

To switch these settings the device may not be connected via USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

35 (edited by loyuit 2017-01-10 11:09:48)

thank you Ramses
My purpose was a multichannel by using Usb
In the manual page 35 it shows a Adi2 Pro Usb Mode 6/8 channels

Ok it runs
I have connected Usb again after chamge in multichannel mode and the Daw now shows also output 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8
Thank you Ramses

Another question
In this configuration for using 3/4 output to my mixer i must connect a Y cable to 3/4 headphones output
In "Balanced Phones Mode" is there maybe the way to have 3/4 balanced output using PH3/4 as 3 left and PH1/2 as 4 right?

Yes, but you loose the analog outputs on the rear.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

37 (edited by loyuit 2017-01-10 14:02:55)

Ah so it doesn't make sense
Ok 6 analog outputs (by adding two outboard converters) plus two analog unbalanced from Ph 3/4.
I'll see.
Perheaps it is better waiting for a standalone tb/usb 8 channels highend converter with totalmix and aes/adat by Rme
So i could use it as audio device and Adi2 Pro as main stereo converter.
I know Ufx would be a good option but i don't need preamps and other features.
I hope for a kind of Adi8 tb/usb/adat/aes in the next future.
For now i will try to use unbalanced PH3/4 to send playback to my mixer just for stereo mastering purpose.
For multichannel playback and otb mixing i will wait for a standalone Rme multichannel adda converter if it will come
Bye

IMHO balanced or unbalanced has no impact on sound quality at all. Only robustness against radio interference, which can be a problem with long runs at mic level but not short line level!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Hi Vinark
I'm agree but i see it as a compromise. Not a pure line output.
For stereo mastering purpose better another DA converter dedicated for going to the outboard and keep adi 2 pro as main device for playback,monitoring and AD conversion from outboard.
Without adding a DA converter maybe i will keep to monitor by headphones, PH 3/4 setting analog source.

MC wrote:

The two independent stereo outputs of the ADI-2 Pro have independent source select switches: Auto, AES, SPDIF, Analog, USB 3/4.

MC wrote:

I cannot make independent selections.

I have a USB connection.  Per your advice, I have selected
'Setup'->'Options'->'Mute v. TRS 1/2' ... to 'Off'
'Setup'->'Options'->'Mute v. TRS 1/2' ... to 'Off'

Scenario A
When 'Input' is via USB/Auto
'Main Output 3/4' -> 'AD/DA Source' = 'Auto'
'Main Output 1/2' -> 'AD/DA Source' = 'Auto'
This results in playback of the same source (USB) material to both 'PH 3/4' on the front panel and 'XLR Output' on the back panel.

Scenario B
However, when I attempt to playback SPDIF material
'Main Output 3/4' -> 'AD/DA Source' = 'SPDIF' (set via manual selection)
'Main Output 1/2' -> 'AD/DA Source' = 'Auto' (this cannot be changed from 'Auto')
This results in playback of the SPDIF source to only 'PH 3/4' on the front panel.  'XLR Output' on the back panel has no signal.

I can play back SPDIF material using the above settings of Scenario B if I set
'Setup'->'Options'->'Dual Phones' = 'Off'

Feature Change?
Under Scenario B, should 'Main Output 1/2' be allowed to be changed to 'SPDIF' rather than being stuck on 'Auto'?

As mentioned in the manual with USB active output 1/2 will play back USB. That's what this mode is for. In AD/DA mode you can freely select the source of Mains Out 1/2. So just change the Basic Mode and it works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi
I'd like to buy a Adi 8 ds mkiii
Now i use only an Adi2 pro
My idea is to buy DigiFace Usb to have 10 da channels of conversion and 10 ad. But before buying the Digiface usb i'd like to know more about Adi8 and Adi2 digital routing.
If i use Adi2 Pro as main usb device and i connect both adat and aes/ebu from adi 2 pro to Adi8ds mkiii could i get 4 more adda channels of conversion? Or just 2 channels aes/ebu or adat? Not both?

43 (edited by ramses 2017-11-04 16:36:08)

ADI 2 Pros ADAT channel only supports 2 channels, not matter whether being used in ADAT or optical SPDIF format.
In terms of routing, none of the two interfaces ADI-8 DS MKIII and ADI-2 Pro support TotalMix FX.

In terms of costs:
ADI-8 DS Mk III €1358
DigiFace USB €399
Together €1757

For €1757 I would more get UFX II which costs only a little more: €1936
By this you get 8 AD/DA, 2 phones outputs and very good quality analog circuits and 4 mic preamps.

I would connect the UFX II to your computer and as clock source, as this is the main device on your PC.
The ADI-2 Pro I would connect digitally via ADAT and/or AES.

Another very nice and useful / powerful combination of devices is this:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/
An advantage of this combination is, that on the RayDAT AES and optical SPDIF are 2 physically completely independend channels. By this you can route signals in the TM instance of RayDAT to either phones or monitors connected to ADI-2 Pro, like being shown in my blog article above. And this is then very nicely supported by the ARC USB as add-on.

Otherwise you connect the ADI-2 Pro to UFX* only digitally over ADAT or SPDIF and then select in the front of the ADI-2 Pro, whether you want to listen to monitors or phones.

I personally like it more being fully under the control of the ARC USB and if I hear via monitors, that I do not hear something in parallel coming from my permanently connected open phones.

If you would take the RayDAT, then you would get the ADI-8 DS Mk on top like you planned already.

RayDAT €585
ADI-8 DS Mk €1358
opt. ARC USB €125
Also a very nice solution for in total €2068 and much scalable even if you would plan to record @96 kHz.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

44 (edited by loyuit 2017-11-04 17:37:01)

Hi Ramses
I'm on IMac. I can't use RayDat
And i want to pay for what i use
And i have great outboard pres,
Ufx is not an option.
My only purpose is analog summing.
M-16/M-32 DA would be my first choice but over budget and i can't find a used one.
I would buy a used Adi8mkiii at a good price. And a DigiFace usb new.
Anyway my question was about aes/ebu and adat in parallel. Not about spdif-adat
Can i use adat and aes/ebu at the same time on Adi2 pro and to get 4 more digital channels (6 in total)?
And if and once i had 6 digital channels on Adi2 pro could i connect the 2 channels (called 3/4) aes/ebu to aes/ebu port on Adi8mkiii and to do the same thing by Adat to Adat for 5/6 channels?
Adi 8 can receive adat and aes/ebu indipendently?

45 (edited by ramses 2017-11-04 18:06:45)

> Anyway my question was about aes/ebu and adat in parallel. Not about spdif-adat

Your complete goal / surrounding conditions were not 100% clear to me.
You didnt tell yet that you have only an iMac.
I simply tried to give you options.

And I wrote to you already something.
AES and ADAT can be used in parallel but are only 2+2 channels. Should be clear enough or ?

46 (edited by loyuit 2017-11-04 21:13:06)

No problem
Thank you very much
What do you mean "are only 2+2 channels"?
Using Adi2 pro as main usb device and connecting adat and aes/ebu should i have also 3/4 and 5/6 channels on my Daw?
And Adi 8mkiii can manage adat and aes at the same time to receive 3/4 and 5/6 channels?
I'm asking for this setup (adi2 pro-adi 8 mkiii as 6 i/o channels) cause 6 channels could be enough for now and i could wait to order the digiface usb. And also i believe that about latency/clock Adi2pro (main device)-Adi8mkiii 6 channels setup could be more efficient than DigiFace Usb (main device)-Adi2pro-Adi8mkiii 10 channels setup

loyuit wrote:

Hi
I'd like to buy a Adi 8 ds mkiii
Now i use only an Adi2 pro
My idea is to buy DigiFace Usb to have 10 da channels of conversion and 10 ad. But before buying the Digiface usb i'd like to know more about Adi8 and Adi2 digital routing.
If i use Adi2 Pro as main usb device and i connect both adat and aes/ebu from adi 2 pro to Adi8ds mkiii could i get 4 more adda channels of conversion? Or just 2 channels aes/ebu or adat? Not both?

This doesn't work as you can't use the DA side of the ADI-8 with ADAT and AES at the same time. Should be quite obvious as there is no way to select specific channels on the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

48 (edited by loyuit 2017-11-05 00:10:22)

Ok Thanks
DigiFace Usp as main device and adi 2 pro+adi8mkiii connected by adat to it, do you think could be
an efficient setup about clock,latency,etc?

Sure.

> My only purpose is analog summing.

Note that you could only use the 8 channels of the ADI-8 for summing. The ADI-2 Pro has different DA latency, so summing with other units is (generally) not possible, always and only within one unit or several same units.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okappa
Thanks Mc and Ramses