1 (edited by mr.r 2017-04-29 13:35:59)

Topic: Multiface1:can Spdif out 'professional' aes/ebu damage Spdif devices?

Hello,

you can set the RCA Spdif in the Multiface 1 to 'professional' to use it as a aes/ebu out. Set at 'professional', it has a higher voltage.

From the multiface manual https://www.rme-audio.de/download/mface_e.pdf

Professional AES/EBU equipment can be connected to the Multiface thanks to the transformer-
balanced coaxial output, and the ‘Professional’ format option with doubled output voltage. Out-
put cables should have the same pinout as those used for input (see above), but with a male
XLR plug instead of a female one.

SPDIF - AES/EBU
•  1 x RCA, transformer-balanced, galvanically isolated, according to AES3-1992
•  Output level Professional 2.3 Vpp, Consumer 1.0 Vpp

Can I damage a connected Spdif device (e.g. an external DAC), when I anciently set the Spdif to professional? Or is 2.3 vpp still no problem for an external Spdif device?

I find the idea very worrying and ask myself if it's better to use an optical connection to prevent this possibility for an accident.

Re: Multiface1:can Spdif out 'professional' aes/ebu damage Spdif devices?

The higher voltage does NOT damage anything, or is any threat to anything. SPDIF inputs usually handle 5 Volts without a problem. Even if the design of the receiver would be built on current 3.3V technology the 2.3 Vpp of the Multiface are guaranteed to not do any harm.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by mr.r 2017-04-30 01:12:48)

Thank you very much for the clear and detailed reply.

I guess then the only thing I would notice is that I just dont get a sync when I route  the spdif out from the Multiface with professional on at 2.3 Vpp  into a spdif/aes3-id in from an external DAC, right?

I was afraid because I read that the max. Vpp for spdif is 0.6 Vpp and for aes3-id 1.2 vpp.

http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Getting a 'sync' (you'll always get a sync, but no audio in some cases) depends on the receiver - in many cases they are compatible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I meant that you don't get audio.  Sorry when I mixed up the term.

Have a nice sunday and thanks again for the quick help at weekend. :-)