Topic: ARC USB compatibility!!

Wow, just read this in a press release on gearslutz...

"Equally notable, the ARC USB works with any RME audio interface that is currently compatible to the latest drivers supporting TotalMix FX, and this includes interfaces that were released as far back as 2001."

really?? If so, that is great news!!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

2 (edited by ramses 2017-04-27 17:09:23)

Re: ARC USB compatibility!!

mattrixx wrote:

Wow, just read this in a press release on gearslutz...

"Equally notable, the ARC USB works with any RME audio interface that is currently compatible to the latest drivers supporting TotalMix FX, and this includes interfaces that were released as far back as 2001."

really?? If so, that is great news!!

Yes, known since around February. I wrote a blog article about that once it had been confirmed in the RME user forum.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … talMix-FX/

This enables i.e. such a setup including ARC USB support for fans of the ADI-2 Pro:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Interestingly however, Mathias replied to me this time last year saying "Sorry, no" when I asked about UFX mk1 compatibility via USB on the computer.
So, it's indeed a great result and one that will result in many more sales of the remote.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Indeed.  I'll be buying two - One to replace my ARC at the studio (MF-XT), and one to add to my ancient Multiface-I at home!!!

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

mattrixx wrote:

Interestingly however, Mathias replied to me this time last year saying "Sorry, no" when I asked about UFX mk1 compatibility via USB on the computer.

I am sorry but at that time we really kept it secret to not even let a rumour pop up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe a dumb question, but would it be possible to use the arc USB as class compliant USB midi device? Does it announce a midi port to the owner and send midi to, react on midi from, the computer?

If so, does it interfere with totalmix? Is it possible to have totalmix NOT automatically connect to the arc, but dis/connect with a midi message, for example?

Im searching for a compact midi controller with buttons and one encoder...

There are lots of units like that on the market, many even cheaper than the ARC USB. Don't expect us to change anything on this unit - it will not happen. The ARC USB has just one purpose - control TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

From what I am reading in the manual so far, it looks like it makes little difference in the case of the UFX+  USB connection or the computer USB as the purpose is the control of TM FX. However, it there any benefit with the UFX+ (other than freeing up the USB ports on the computer) by going directly into the UFX+ ?

Additionally, are the little silver labels available as accessory items for an extra supply?

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Knuckle, I never heard that there is any difference whether you connect ARC USB to UFX+ directly or via PC. Can you pls cite the manual where you think you found this information?

I think the advantages are simply
- allows for shorter cable, less cabling efforts
  just plug it to the device which is closer to
  your mouse hand
- standard USB interface vs customized
- easier cable replacement
- backward compatibility for a lot of devices as to make this happen everything seems only to be about the communication between ARC USB towards TM FX on the PC.

Also it might be easier and more straightforward for RMEs design of driver and devices as USB I/O is already or can be implemented into FPGA of future products.

Also the communication between ARC USB on UFX+/II to PC might be easier to implement as the USB traffic of the ARC USB might only be passed through the already established USB connection. And in the case of thunderbold maybe easy to implement as TB is desiged to kind of "tunnel" different driver traffic like already seen in the case of firewire which needs only an adapter.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I see in the Overview #6 that it APPEARS to indicate that it is a Total Mix controller and beyond standalone operation, it has no other action.  It may be my interpretation but then in re-reading the part about the USB 1.1  on board, it changes with standalone operations as a method to connect to the interface and not TM

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Dear Gentleman,

you are speaking about mystic things which are until now not existing on market. Right now, there is no Remote Control System from RME available at all. Not the old one and also not the "new" ARC USB Controller. I Would recommend not think to much about tools which are not available yet or maybe never in later time. I do not trust any more those hasty announcements from RME. My goal is to looking for alternative interfaces from other manufacturers.

PreSonus takes my attention with a brand new Thunderbolt interface probably with buffer size settings around to 8-16 samples in ASIO dialog. Great for real time VST-instruments. Controlling via wireless iPad apps. (Of course for talkback, monitor switching, dim, mute functionality and so on) I do not have any more the time waiting years for one hardware remote control system from RME. So probably for my person it is time to say goodbye to RME.

With best regards

For what it's worth, I just received mine ... finally.

Trommeltotti wrote:

Dear Gentleman,

you are speaking about mystic things which are until now not existing on market. Right now, there is no Remote Control System from RME available at all. Not the old one and also not the "new" ARC USB Controller. I Would recommend not think to much about tools which are not available yet or maybe never in later time. I do not trust any more those hasty announcements from RME. My goal is to looking for alternative interfaces from other manufacturers.

PreSonus takes my attention with a brand new Thunderbolt interface probably with buffer size settings around to 8-16 samples in ASIO dialog. Great for real time VST-instruments. Controlling via wireless iPad apps. (Of course for talkback, monitor switching, dim, mute functionality and so on) I do not have any more the time waiting years for one hardware remote control system from RME. So probably for my person it is time to say goodbye to RME.

With best regards

And you are not the only one, several posts in this forum already. Trommeltotti is not up to date.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I received my remote Thursday 4/27/17

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

Hi all

I just started using mine this morning, what a joy!

One question though. Having the unit on does seem to disable all other midi control of total mix.

Does anyone know if there is a way round this?

it would still be good to still have access monitor mixing on the fly rather than rely entirely on snapshots.

Cheers

False alarm regarding other midi control. Checked settings and somehow midi control 'in use' box had become un-checked, whether related or not to plugging in the ARC USB I don't know but maybe something to look out for.

sigmund wrote:

False alarm regarding other midi control. Checked settings and somehow midi control 'in use' box had become un-checked, whether related or not to plugging in the ARC USB I don't know but maybe something to look out for.

Good to know, thanks ;-)

MC wrote:

And you are not the only one, several posts in this forum already. Trommeltotti is not up to date.

Thomann Germany says: "Voraussichtliche Lieferung am 31.05.2017" Music Store Germany says: "Bestellt, voraussichtlicher Liefertermin am 06.05.2017" Just Music Germany says: "Nicht auf Lager"

So, what's going on here in Germany? RME is a German company? I'm right? The new ARC USB Controller from RME is probably available otherwise but not yet in Germany? Can RME please make German customers up to date. In this case I would say a little bit confusing things for German users.

With best regards

Hi,

I received mine last week, very happy with it and works great. The only thing I've noticed is that Logic X is constantly receiving MIDI messages/ping from the remote when idle. Not sure if I just need to change an option somewhere in the TM or Logic X settings...

Thanks
J

Just an update from my last post. The issue with Logic receiving MIDI messages is nothing to do with RME, it's just the way Logic works with MIDI signals. I got around it by creating a blank/empty monitor item in the Environment and wiring the ARC to it. I then saved the setup as a template. Problem fixed!

Thanks
J

21 (edited by djcandu 2017-05-18 20:13:14)

porthoss wrote:

Just an update from my last post. The issue with Logic receiving MIDI messages is nothing to do with RME, it's just the way Logic works with MIDI signals. I got around it by creating a blank/empty monitor item in the Environment and wiring the ARC to it. I then saved the setup as a template. Problem fixed!

Thanks
J

When I have the ARC USB connected to the mac, Logic Pro blocks and show me a windows with "MIDI TIME OUT"? I've already done your system and it works but I still have this problem.
can u help me?
thanks

(""MIDI timeout: Logic Pro X has detected a MIDI timeout. Please restart your computer, then relaunch Logic Pro X.
If the problem persists, update the drivers of all connected MIDI devices (including audio drivers with MIDI functionality) to the latest version. For instructions on removing older drivers, consult the manufacturers' documentation.""""")

Matteo Candura
*Songwriter*Producer*Remixer*Musician*Artist*

22 (edited by djcandu 2017-05-19 21:23:55)

sad

Matteo Candura
*Songwriter*Producer*Remixer*Musician*Artist*

We do not see this issue, nor do we think it has something to do with the ARC USB. It sounds more like the usual Logic error messages that you get on audio and MIDI overload and synchronization problems.

With the above workaround (which is not even necessary in most cases) one gets rid of the ARC's MIDI messages within Logic.

A more detailed description on how to do that is here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 13#p121713

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME