Topic: Max ADAT Cable Length on Multiface I ?

I know the SPDIF spec states Toslink Optical should run up to 10 Meters - I believe ADAT's official spec is shorter due to its higher bandwidth.

What is ADAT Lightpipe's real world distance limit using standard ADAT/Toslink cables (not glass cables) and a Multiface or Digiface on each end (send/return loop)?  It will actually end up being a Multiface and an SSL Alphalink MADI AX - but I can use a Digiface on the SSL Alphalink end if needed (and I figured RME has some concrete data from testing RME gear with other RME gear wink ).

What is the longest ADAT cable run any of you've had w/o issues?  Would expensive glass optic cables increase this distance?  And would a 10 Meter BNC cable rated for HD-SDI Video provide a better clock (less jitter) than a 10 Meter Toslink cable?  I know ADAT itself is fairly jittery and the optic cables don't help - but is a 10 Meter BNC appreciably better (clocked from the SteadyClock sync'd BNC output on a HDSP MADI card)?  Most of my runs have been under 3' up til now - so this is unchartered territory for ADAT and BNC over here!  I'd assume BNC will be vastly superior to a 10 Meter ADAT cable for slaving the Multiface...

I might be able to compromise and re-locate the Multiface/Digiface away from the PC (with the long Firewire/HDSP cable) - but I have other unbalanced stuff connected to the Multiface and it just makes sense to leave the boxes where they are (approx 28-30 feet apart with a "neat & tidy" cable run - or 25 feet if I lose all slack - so that's about 9.5-10 Meters)...

Thanks for any confirmation cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: Max ADAT Cable Length on Multiface I ?

I have 6x 10 meters SSSNAKE Toslink optical cables to link our SONY DMX-R100 digital console to a Digiface since years without issue.
I'm sure with high quality Toslink cable and modern equipement you can go up to 30m

All equipments are synced to a master clock using 75 Ohm BNC coax cables only; we never use the embedded signal available within the ADAT interface for that purpose.

Hope this helps

Cool!  Sounds like this might work after all!  I have a pair of 25' and 35' Toslink cables on the way from Monoprice (cheapish cables - but likely as good as anything below $50) and I'll get a 30' BNC cable form work - I'll report back once I get it all setup.  Fingers crossed :-)

Thanks for the verification, Thalys.  cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

4 (edited by d3p7 2017-01-19 20:08:22)

I would like to place my pc with raydat in an adjacent room which is 8 meters from the converters + control monitor (n.8 toslink) placed in the control room, can i do it without having decreases of performance, speed and stability of the connection? can i do without using toslink signal amplifiers? can I extend the cables that already own using the female-female adapter for toslink (3m+5m)? or better to use direct cable 8 meters long? I had read toslink connections max 5 meters without signal amp, maximum 10 meters with signal amp...I do not know exactly how it is best to do to not have low performance for adat connections between raydat and converters...
Thanks to all for your help

5 (edited by ramses 2017-01-19 20:51:14)

I am using 15m toslink cable without issues between UFX / UFX+ / RayDAT and different other devices like i.e.: Behringer D/A converter, RME ADI-2 Pro and Accuphase DAC-40.

https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisch … m_185731_1

EDIT: Beitrag: 1.111 ... Cheers wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I already have 8 cables long 3 meters, can I extend it by connecting other 4 meters long cables through this adapter? (Female/female)

Sommer Cable POF-709
https://m.thomann.de/it/sommer_cable_po … 1494420656

Adat cable 4m+adapter+adat cable 3m

Any advice or recommendation?
Did anyone have any experience with these adapters?

I need to connect via adat these devices: raydat+focusrite octopre mk2 dynamic ad/da converter+tc-bmc2